Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my heater fan only works in 1 2 &3 but not 4 - I have no idea where the heater resistor pack or even the blower motor are located to test them -all help gratefully received.
Thanks
Alan
Modus 1.5 dci 56 plate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Alan,

I understand this is an old post but I'm having a very similar problem in the way that my heater on my modus isn't working on 1, 2 and 3 but works on 4.

Just wondering if you managed to sort the problem out as it is very frustrating!!

Any help is much appreciated!

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had the exact same problem on my dad's Modus ('06 1.5DCI) - all the time he had it the top speed didn't work - this is the classic symptom of a dodgy resistor pack - then it wouldn't work at all. I banged the heater control panel and all of a sudden it came on again - this time it only works on Position 2. All other positions are dead as a dodo. Which is now making me think it's the switch that's duff. Any further thoughts??

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Re: Modus heater fan problems fixed

Only speed 4 would work on my modus, but I have taken look at it and found the wires going to the resistor pack had over heated from bad connection.
I have attached some photos of what I found, I have made a temporary repair which has got the fan working again but I will need to replace the resistor pack and part of the wiring loom to make it more permanent.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Re: Modus heater fan problems FIXED

I have now replaced the fan speed controller resistor and the damaged wiring loom.
I could not find a modus at the scrap yard so I bought one from a Megan including the wiring loom section which needed the pins swapping around a bit on the plug before cutting out the original damaged cable and connecting in the replacement.:d

·
Registered
5 Posts
My problem was very similar, the heater/blower fan just stopped working on a Renault Modus. Searching seemed to suggest the heater (speed?) resistor, so I checked that out. Removed the 5 screws holding the glove box in (the screw beneath the rubber grommet was a bit sneaky). Located the two plated screws holding the resistor in place (look for the red and black power cables). Unscrewed these and pulled out the heater blower fan resistor. Everything looked okay. I tried 12 volts directly through the red and black power feeds (I would recommend using a meter to see if you are getting any voltage out, if you aren't then it could be this resistor, kind of unlikely because it's solid state but I guess it might fail). So, anyway, I connected a battery straight to the red and black cables and nothing. This suggested the motor was faulty (maybe brushes) or maybe loose wires. Now getting at the motor appears to be a ******* of a job, so I stuck my head under the steering wheel and shone a torch up behind the dash. I could see those red and black power feeds to the motor. So I stuck my arm up there, felt for the wires and gave them a good wiggling around. Hey presto! Problem sorted, the fan was working. So it was a loose connection to the motor.
There is a probably a more technical method of checking the motor out from the heater blower resistor assembly. If you have a meter I would disconnect the heater blower and check the resistance through the red and black power feeds to the blower motor. If it's infinite, then it's an open circuit and probably a loose wire. I think you should get a highish ohm reading if the motor is brushed and you are measuring the resistance of the rotor coils. (I'm not sure about this as I'm not an auto electrician).
***8203;Anyway, I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this problem again so went for the permanent fix. This turned out to be as simple as removing the dashboard cubby hole, removing the motor connector, cleaning the terminals with a small brush and vinegar and the motor is now working fine. It was just a poor connection. I made an instructional as well:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts