Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on holiday we were involved in a head on accident with a Toyota Supra - see pic. I was driving with my wife as passenger.

The Toyota crossed the center line on a bend, leaving us no where to go and hit drivers side front to drivers side front.

Both front airbags deployed on our Modus. I escaped with a bruised chest and arm, and a graze to my forearm from the airbag. My wife was more seriously injured - but only bruising. The hospital were concerned about her having internal injuries, but luckily this wasn't the case.

The Supra driver was trapped for a time and suffered a broken leg.

As the accident is subject to legal action (outside the UK) I won't post further pictures or information at this time, but suffice to say that as driver of our car, the police do not hold me in any way responsible and will charge the other driver in due course!

All in all, we were very lucky, and will buy another Modus if this one is written off.

P6140127.jpg

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Glad that you are all okay apart from minor injuries and as you are saying you were very lucky, but having said that passenger safety is something Renault seem to have got pretty much right. Hope everything goes well for you
Regards Leroy

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Credit where it is due - WELL DONE again Renault for creating a car which potentially saved it's occupants from severe injury.

Glad you and your wife are OK - must have been a nightmare.

There have been a few posts like this now and it just shows you how important it is to buy cars with good safety features/ratings.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Greenside - glad to hear you are both OK - the air bags, etc. seemed to have earned their money. Where did the accident happen - the photo looks suspciously like Ireland where I come from - Good luck and keep us posted on your progress - nice to hear renaults getting some praise.:)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the good wishes all, I will keep updates posted as and when I can, without predudicing any legal proceedings.

Madnoel,
the photo looks suspciously like Ireland where I come from:)
As I stated, currently, I can only confirm that the accident happened outside the UK - I will confirm full location with thanks to all who helped us when I am able - Watch this space!, although with legal things taking as long as they do, it may take some time before it is all complete.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Ditto to all the above posts, glad your both ok and it hasnt runined your holiday too much (I know it will have a bit).

Good luck with the legal side i guess it will be a long drawn out process.

Top marks to Renault for building cars which are some of the safest in each class, although they have their niggles i dont think they are many cars with NCAP ratings that high across the board!

·
Registered
56 Posts
That looks like dreadfully serious impact there, and having the wet and narrow road...

Anyway, I'm happy to hear that you're both allright and wish you to get over from the shock of the crash soon enough.;)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I know that a lot of people say "they don't make them like they used to" - probably just as well, given the impact....

Smaller cars these days seem to be extremely well-protected (maybe because they don't have the luxury of space for crumple zones) - so they make the protection cells stronger - my Ka, had a serious rear-ender some years ago, but the passenger area was untouched.

Glad you and your Wife were ok - it'll take a while to get over something as shocking as this, but at least you can help each other.

All the best.

Paul

P.S. I think the car is a Carina E, as it appears to have 5-doors.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
A scary incident that would have had a different outcome not that long ago.Glad to hear you both relatively OK,and hope that the mental scares heal over time.

Your not the first on the forum to have praised Renaults safety,and they do seem to lead the way in occupant protection.I don't think safety is as big a selling point on cars as it should be,but thats the way of the world.

Thanks for your post,and one that I will no doubt come back to when the next person asks me why I drive a Renault!:)

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Glad to hear both of you are okay :)

It looks a scary incident indeed. It looks like the Modus did an exceptional job of cushioning you from what must have been quite an impact.

Renault get slaughtered for many things, but they do build cars that protect their owners :d

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad that everything is fine. I also have a family and security aspect is very important for me.

Best wishes

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Time for a quick update...

P.S. I think the car is a Carina E, as it appears to have 5-doors.
Well done VelSatified - I've checked the other photos and it is a Carina.

I returned to work yesterday, and my wife is feeling much better, planning to return to work next week.

Oure Modus has been written off, with our insurers making an interim payment, so I've just been to a local dealer to order its replacement - another Modus. Again it's to be a 1.5dCi 86 with a QuickShift gearbox.

The dealer is going to lend us a car until the Modus is available - probably mid September.

Once again, thanks for the good wishes all.

Regards
Richard

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
so I've just been to a local dealer to order its replacement - another Modus.
And who could blame you;) Glad to hear you are both OK, it's always a nasty shock when you are involved in an accident no matter how major or minor (state the obvious or what:d ), I've been in three all told (before I was a driver myself) and know what you have gone/ are going through, my best wishes to you and your missus:)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:dWylam Garage of Hexham have loaned us a Nissan QashQai for the time being until our new Modus comes into stock - about mid September.

Many Thanks to Wylam Garage and Dawn in particular who has been very helpful!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's Arrived!

Time for an update...

After the interim payment, I squeezed the insurance company for another £1000 by emailing them screenshots of similar specced cars on the Renault used car web-site - it all helps:d. They've also confirmed that Grace's No Claims Bonus is not affected as they can claim against the Motor Insurance Bureau in the country where it happened.

:driving:We picked up the new Modus on Wednesday evening and are very happy with it - chosen Blue this time, since the accident many people have told us that Green is unlucky - I'm not supersticious - it's just that the non-metallic choice is limited!

The idiot that hit the last one is being prosecuted for Dangerous Driving and Driving Without Insurance (and hopefully for the bald tyreand whatever else they can find). He is due to appear in court in November - I hope they throw the book at him:steam:
This, especially as Grace has had to be referred to a consultant at a local hospital - our GP has diagnosed that her pelvis is 'out of place'. Not sure exactly what he means, but it's painful!

Once again, thanks to Wylam Garage for the loan of the cars - it has made life a lot simpler!

Regards
Richard

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Glad everythings OK for you :) Enjoy your new motor.

I'd agree with the "green is unlucky" theory.

Coincidentally my parents had (and still have, though its a second car) a green Toyaota Carina E. Both my parents, myself and my brother have all had an accident in it. The range of body panels on the thing must make it an M through Y reg!

Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Time for another update...

The idiot that hit the last one is being prosecuted for Dangerous Driving and Driving Without Insurance (and hopefully for the bald tyreand whatever else they can find). He is due to appear in court in November - I hope they throw the book at him:steam:
This, especially as Grace has had to be referred to a consultant at a local hospital - our GP has diagnosed that her pelvis is 'out of place'. Not sure exactly what he means, but it's painful!
The idiot didn't appear for his court appearance:steam:

We just want this over with - and don't see what this type of person expects to gain.

The case has been adjourned until 2nd week of January - if he chooses not to appear again, a warrant for his arrest will be issued.

Why don't they issue it now and stick him away until the case is heard?

We can't make the claim against the Motor Insurance Bureau in the country concerned until the case has been heard, so are still about £1500 down plus any compo for injuries, and only have 12 months from the date of the accident!

Why don't all countries agree to ban uninsured drivers for life, and ensure that they never drive again - cut thier hands and feet off if need be:steam::steam:

Rant Over
Richard.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts