Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm driving a Clio 1.4 Auto ( 3 speed ), had a brainwave-don't knock me for it , since the R5 GT Turbo obviously had a turbo, surley it would stand to reason that some type of conversion on to my 1996 1.4 may even be simple.

I'd be most grateful to anyone with knowledge on the subject, wheather it be from themselves or people they know have done it, a bit more power and I'd be happy enough with the motor - full electric pack etc.

oh, off the wall here a bit, I'll tell you the problem and what I know the answer is and you can tell me how very wrong I am, or better, confirm my suspicions.
Between 2nd and 3rd gear, there's a bit of a bump, now considering the car is in it's 11th year, spending 93 % going in and out of second an third (three speed remember), so I imagine there will be a rubber bush worn to blue blazes, does anyone have any idea of the name of my made up item?

anyway, it's the turbo thing that'll make me keep the old squirrell, that's where the advice will be palpable.

kindest regards

John Stewart

previous Renaults; R 18 / R20 / R5 / R11 / and this is the second Clio

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have the '94 1.4RT 3 spd auto. Not too sure re the turbo as I think the Energy engine may be different to the "5" but it is the same gearbox. You may have a worn engine mount giving the bump you describe. It's not something I've had on mine TBH and I've had most things now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't know the spec of the Clio engine but in general terms a normally aspirated engine will have too high a compression ratio to just bolt on a turbo without making other changes. It can be done, but the amount of boost applied must be minimal to avoid detonation.

You also need to look at fueling. More intake pressure = more air pumped into the engine and that requires more fuel. A decent fuel injection system with a mass airflow sensor can adjust to very small increases but beyond that you'll need to make changes. Weak mixtures tend to eat pistons.

Also remember is that any increase in power puts additional strain on the rest of the drivetrain. As you already have a problem when shifting you really need to ask if it's likely to cope with any more power.

One last thing that springs to mind is that with an auto box hard acceleration in top gear (overtaking) usually results in a "kickdown" to a lower gear. When this happens, your exhaust gas velocity increases dramatically and so does the boost pressure. Combined with the increased torque multiplication of the lower gear this can make things a bit difficult to control.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Mmm....I think the turbo is a bad idea on your car too....:eek:

I'm pretty sure they are different engines,and as said before,to put a turbo on a normally aspirated engine invloves lowering the compression ratio which can only be done internally(i.e expensively:()

The 'bump' your experiencing could be a problem developing inside the auto box,so adding more strain to it could finish it off completely.

Sorry to be the profit of doom,but I really would recommend no to bother with a turbo conversion!.Save your money and put it towards a diifferent car.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Add to the fact the 1.4 GTT engine was a carb and yours is probably an E7J (or is it EJ7? I can never remember) electronic injection engine. Lots of hassle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's not as hard as you may imagine, my brother has nearly finished fitting a R5 GT T engine into a R19 chamade 16v. Goodbye 16v lump, injection, ecu etc - ABS went aswell by replacing M/Cylinder with R5 item and pedalbox. Kept the 16v box. 180bhp atm :devil:

*IF* the R5 engine can be grafted to the autobox you are laughing as its easy from there on in, if not then you are talking top&tailing your engine fitting low compression pistons, probably custom manifolds etc. Not worth the aggro really. I dont think its a goer as the auto box will have a torque converter so the crank tail will be different.

That said, if you manage it the auto box would prob only last a week or 2 :crazy: !

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts