Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gents/ladies.

I've had my T Reg Kangoo van for a year and its pretty brilliant (for the money). It had its MOT on friday and I've a few things to do that i would like to do myself rather than pay for. I'm quite handy, (built a cobra replica) but not familiar with the renaults so seek some advice.

My first question is: there's no haynes manual for a Kangoo, would i be right in thinking the Clio manual would be a very close match?

Second: I need to change the front shocks, is there a how-to guide anywhere, I've had a look and can't find anything.

Third: I need to replace a split CV gaitor, again any "how-to" anywhere, or tips please. The guy at the garage told me there was a "kit" to do this, but with no manual I'm a bit lost where to start.

The other bits like bulbs, and new front disks are all sorted.

Any info/advice/warnings will be greatfully received. :d

cheers

Chedz

http://how-to-build-a-pilgrim-sumo.wikidot.com/

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Here is some info on bootkits, got one myself recently (Megane) but not tried fitting yet. However it seems simple enough, cut old one off, heat new boot in hot water, lube cone, stretch boot over cone and into place, add grease, fit clamps and voila. Assuming your CV joint is OK.

http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/renault-kangoo-bootkit-boot-kit-stretch-cone-p-9851.html

Front shocks require a few special tools, such as ball joint splitter, coil spring compressors and usually an offset ring spanner for the top nut. Beyond that the main problem is very tight joints so a good workbench and vice are probably called for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers Marvin, that boot kit looks worth a try, i'll get one and let you know how it goes.

Faultless they aren't but i do like to work from the haynes manuals, anyone got any thoughts if the clio book would be good match for a t-reg kangoo.

I bought some manual off ebay for £3, its pretty pants but better than nothing.

cheers

Chedz

R

·
0 Posts
However it seems simple enough, cut old one off, heat new boot in hot water, lube cone, stretch boot over cone and into place,
Yeah it's a real piece of wet not!!:rofl::rofl:

Being serious for a minute if you don't get the technique right it can be an absolute bar5tard of a job especially with the drive shafts still on the car. The last 2 I did I had the drive shafts off as I was changing the engine.

Leave them soaking for as long as possible in the hottest water possible. I found using washing up liquid worked quite well. I found once I had lube every where I couldn’t grab the boots properly!

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Being serious for a minute if you don't get the technique right it can be an absolute bar5tard of a job especially with the drive shafts still on the car. The last 2 I did I had the drive shafts off as I was changing the engine.

Leave them soaking for as long as possible in the hottest water possible. I found using washing up liquid worked quite well. I found once I had lube every where I couldn’t grab the boots properly!
Thanks, good 2 know.
Marv

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
......quick update.

New shocks on, fairly simple, but one problem, getting one of the large flat rubber lined nuts that fits on top of the shock in the engine bay would not come off. I welded up some long tools and ended up shearing off various allen keys things fitted in sockets. In the end i had to cut it out with an angle grinder. So now i need a new one, any one know a source????

As for the CV Gaiters, the replacements from JR...I got them off ebay and they are brilliant. After 10 mins of boiling, they slip over with just a bit of pushing and straining....highly recommend.

I got a pair off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2X-RENAULT-BO...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b7231ef7

Came with cone, lube, new grease and 2 giaters for about £12 delivered....nice!

cheers

Graham

1 - 7 of 7 Posts