Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got any idea? Its a renault clio mtv W reg, 75,000 miles, The following are the results;

Fast Idle Test

RPM:MAX 2850 - ACTUAL VALUE 2602 - PASS
CO: MAX 0.300 - ACTUAL VALUE 10.204 FAIL
HC: MAX 200 - ACTUAL VALUE 651 FAIL
Lambda: MIN - 0.970 - MAX 1.030 - ACTUAL VALUE 0.718 - FAIL

Second Fast Idle Test

RPM: MAX 2850 - ACTUAL VALUE 2722 - PASS
CO: MAX 0.300 - ACTUAL VALUE 10.568 - FAIL
HC: MAX 200 - ACTUAL VALUE 629 - FAIL
Lambda: MIN - 0.970 - MAX 1.030 - ACTUAL VALUE 0.709 - FAIL

Natural Idle Test

RPM: MAX 900 - ACTUAL VALUE 770 - PASS
CO: MAX 0.500 - ACTUAL VALUE 5.189 - FAIL

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I'd say a Lambda sensor,although depending on how long it's been like it the cat could also be damaged.Those figures are a long,long way out and I'm surprised it runs any sense at all.:eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuel consumpion has been bad lately. Ive had the oxygen sensor and the spark plugs changed around about the middle of February. I also got a diagnostic done but they said there were no error codes come up but there were faults on the air intake, throttle potentiometer, ignition coil, injectors, idle control valve and the oxygen sensor. They said that they would recommend changing the ignition coil first to see if that would then clear the rest and pass the emissions test, does that sound about right? :confused:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Was the Lambda sensor fitted an aftermarket universal type one?.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not to sure, I think he said it was a siemens part but I could be mistaking. Am I right in beliving there are two lambda sensors so maybe the other ones went? Also when I got the oxygen sensor fitted I'm sure he said the car still wasn't running right and he said that the lamda was running on a open loop but I wasn't sure what this ment.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Your car is right on the change between having 1 or 2 sensors,early ones have 1 before the cat,later ones have one before and one after.

If the Lambda sensor in front of the cat is permanently open loop then there is a problem with either the sensor or the wires running to it.It could also be a coolant temperature sensor fault and this needs to be checked via the ECU live data.

The Lambda sensor (or sensors) can be easily checked,again by looking at the live data stream from the ECU,it certaintly looks to me like either your garage can't read the data because of their scanner or don't now what it's trying to tell them if they can......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Confusing all this electrical stuff, thanks for your help, I also have a oil leak and when I put it on the ramps to look underneath, behind the engine where the exhaust manifold is connected there's three bolts and two of them are wet so I'm also not sure if oil is getting into the. Exhuast and burning, would that be possible or would the emission levels not be that high? I've been trying to pinpoint where the leak is coming from for the past two months but just can't find it, I could try and upload photos I have if that would help?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Which engine does your car have?.Some do have a tendency to leak oil out of the corner of the head gasket in this area,engine type and some pics would confirm this though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure what engine it is, how could I check for you? So if it is from that corner would the gasket just need replacing? I could upload photos tomorrow for you if that's ok? For a bit more information on the oil leak the oil seems to collect under the oil filter on the cars frame, so I dunno if its leaking from two different places or whether its running along and dropping there.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
This may be a case whereby the garage code reader has a found a fault related to the oxygen sensors and embarked on replacing them. Just because a lamda sensor shows a code doesn't mean it itself is at fault. For instance if the engine is over-fueling a lambda fault will show so it a case of determining what is causing the problem rather than just changing parts.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts