Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Renault Megane with a rear passenger door that wont open. My car is due for its mot soon. Does anyone know if I need to have the door repaired for it to pass its mot? I hope to get the door fixed soon anyway but would like to get the car through its mot first. Thanks for any help.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
I should think it will pass as long as the tester can test the rear seat belts, just give any mot test garage a ring they will confirm.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Shirley - I don't know what the standards are like for the MOT in the UK mainland but over here in Northern Ireland your car would fail - the testers here take the view that if a door can't be opened the passengers can't escape in the event of an emergency or those coming to their assistance would be hampered in any rescue attempt. I have even seen vehicles fail because the drivers window won't open - the say the driver would be unable to give hand signals should the indicators fail.:) Yeh it gets crazy sometimes.:confused:

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
yes it would fail here.:(

·
Premium Member
764 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
It looks like a bit of a grey area this one - the MOT rules state the "method of inspection" is open and close the drivers and passengers doors. Surely then if the examiner cannot adhere to this method then the test is invalid. As a matter of interest has anyone contacted the MOT people or VOSA for that matter.:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all replies to my original question. Unfortunately, I have contacted a number of garages in my local area and they all say that my car would fail unless all the doors open and close correctly. Have, therefore, had to book it in for the door to be repaired before its MOT next week. Nobody can even give me a rough price for repairing the door until they take it apart so a dread to think how much it is going to cost me. Then I have the MOT costs (and any additional repairs on top of that!)). Thanks for all your replies anyway.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
You should try a garage that does a free retest thats what I do round here take it in get it back and find out what is wrong and get it back to them within a week and they do a free retest

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The drivers and front passenger doors must open from the outside and inside(although you can get round this by leaving the window open when you have the car tested....:rolleyes:).

As Webby says,as long as you can inspect the rear seatbelts properly,then the rear doors don't have to open,but if you can't fully inspect the belts you have the right to refuse to test it.If one rear door opens,then you can obviously inspect the belts using the other door.If neither rear door opens,then if you can pull one of the front seats foward and gain access to the back(as you would in a three door car),then thats OK.

It is a joy being an MOT tester!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have checked with several different garages in my area and they all say that if both rear doors will not open it will fail. Have told them that they can inspect rear seat belts from other side but they all say that both rear doors need to operate correctly (in case of fire, accident, etc.) Obviously, by saying this, they are going to end up getting paid more (for repairing the door) but if no-one is prepared to MOT it with one door not functioning there does not seem to be any other way round it.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
The VOSA leaflet I picked up yesturday says.Quote

" Doors."

Open and Close.

Latch securely in postion. front doors should open from inside and outside the vehicle. Rear doors may need to be opened to gain access to testable items.

Nowhere does it say "MUST"

According to VOSA your car should pass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts