Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the Lag2 V6 MOTd and the Exhaust Emission Test results show that at fast idle (2500-3000 rpm)
  1. CO actual value is (???) 0.00% (limit is =< 0.20 %
  2. HC actual value is 103 ppm (limit is =<200 ppm)
  3. Particles (I think -don't know the symbol) actual value 0.998 (range 0.97 - 1.03)
At idle speed, the CO test returned an actual value of 0.01% (limits =<0.30%).

The VED calculator returns the LAG V6 at 240 g/kg of CO2 taxable at £210 p.a.

My question is... How do I compare g/kg with parts-per-million and percentages? I want to find out if it qualifies for reduced emissions concessions.

Thanks for your anticipated input

Vass20

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
hi vass,

just had mine mot'd two weeks ago, mine were as follows..

CO ........... actual value 0.006
HC ........... actual value 0
Lambda .... actual value 1.003

Have not got a clue what it means, but i do know i paid £104.50 (6 months) for my road tax at end of last month.

Also just had my new reg. doc. through as changed address
on it it says CO2 is 247 g/km.

Does this help in anyway ?

cheers my friend ............... chakota

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I'm not sure how the g/km scale is calculated,but I would think that fuel consumption and engine size must be taken into effect too.Any catalytic converter equipped car can achieve almost perfect emissions,but obviously not all have the same mpg.

Just to clarify;

CO is carbon monoxide(given as a percentage)
HC is HydroCarbons(unburnt fuels,given as PPM or Parts Per Million)
Lambda (often a symbol like a small L with a tail) is air to fuel ratio(Lambda 1 being a perfect ratio,below one being rich,above one being lean).

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may have got my knickers in a twist... I think it's g/km .

This is what VCA says about Laguna II Hatchback.

Vehicle Excise Duty for 12 months for:

RENAULT Laguna II Hatchback 3.0 V6 24V (BG0D0B)
is £210.00
VED Band:G
Engine Capacity:2946
Transmission:A5
Fuel Type:Petrol
CO2:240 g/km
Euro Standard: *III

The CO2 240 g/km is the same as my V5C so no problem there.

But how does that compare with 0.00% and with =<0.2%?

I have received my V11 to renew my tax and it shows the amount due as £165.00. The various sites I have checked say it is £210 but there is an uncertain element as I saw somewhere that this is chargeable to cars registered after 26th March 2006; I take this to mean FIRST registration. So why send me a bill for £165 if elsewhere they say it is £210? Will they charge me what is on the V11 or what their station throws up?

The tax due is worked out on g/km of emission and the band in this case is Band 'G'. There is a variety of rates all listed in g/km which indicates a release into the atmosphere for every Kilometre driven, I suppose. But if the CO2 emission is nil, surely they have the tariff wrongly written

If the fuel is being completely burned, doesn't this mean we are not polluting???

This is where it becomes mind-boggling to me.

The other thing that comes to mind: If I drive 6000 miles a year why am I paying the same as someone doing 50000 miles on a similar tax disk.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
CO is measured as part of the MOT,CO2 is not.......

I was under the impression that the new tax bands are only relevant to cars registered NEW after Sept 06(I think??).

Hope this helps???

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lagdti said:
CO is measured as part of the MOT,CO2 is not.......

I was under the impression that the new tax bands are only relevant to cars registered NEW after the above date.

Hope this helps???
I thought so too but Chakota was charged £104 for 6 months which means they charged him £190for the 12 month tariff.

My V11 is asking me to pay £165 not £190.

I'll find out soon enough I guess but it is still curious because they arrived after the budget.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
From the above link,I think you'll see that the new rates are as clear as mud........:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Only in Britain...............

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That makes more sense and we have debated it many times in this household.

I just had a look at the other thread and still think that Chakota should only have paid £90.75 for six month's tax (not £104), or £165 for 12 months.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
hi again,

i got my tax on sat. 1st april and they charged me the new rate of £104 . 65 for 6mths .. for the year it is £190 .

the £210 is for new cars which are just registered

hope it clears it up a bit ........... chakota

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still curious why my V11 is asking me to pay £165 and it came after the budget.

Did you receive a V11, Chakota?

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
vass20 said:
If the fuel is being completely burned, doesn't this mean we are not polluting???

In a (theoretically) perfect burn, you'd might achieve zero CO and no hydrocarbons, but you'd still be using oxygen and producing CO2. As CO2 is the main greenhouse gas, they can quite happily tax your V6 to death under the politically correct banner of being 'green.'
The other thing that comes to mind: If I drive 6000 miles a year why am I paying the same as someone doing 50000 miles on a similar tax disk.
But they're paying nearly ten times the fuel duty. To be honest, I think they've only bothered scaling VED to try to deter people from buying dirty great 4x4's purely for the school run.

Though it may be a prelude towards moving from fuel taxation to 'per mile' toll charges. If they ever go ahead with this, then they'll need to do something to deter everyone from moving to gas guzzlers, so expect your average 3 litre V6 to attract a four figure rate for VED.

A

·
0 Posts
Anyone wanting to check their tax rating and the cost of their tax should goto the DVLA website..

Pop you vehicle reg into THIS vehicle enquiry page

For my 2001 registered Lag II 1.8 16v I have the following info to share..

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1783CC
CO2 Emissions 184g/Km
Fuel Type Petrol
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £82.50
12 Months Rate £150.00

MOT Emmision Test Results ( Oct 2005 )

Oil Temperature 88 deg c

Min allowed is 80 deg c ( stops false readings from cold engines )

Fast Idle test
( Emiisions must be taken with engine revs between 2450 + 2850 RPM )

Co (% Vol) 0.064 ( Anything under 0.3 is a pass )
HC (ppm vol ) 16 ( Anything under 200 is a pass )
Lambda 1.006 ( Figure must be between 0.97 & 1.03 )

Official Guide ON VED Rates

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Horatio said:
In a (theoretically) perfect burn, you'd might achieve zero CO and no hydrocarbons, but you'd still be using oxygen and producing CO2. As CO2 is the main greenhouse gas, they can quite happily tax your V6 to death under the politically correct banner of being 'green.' Hear! Hear! But are you saying that they are taxing my oxygen now?
But they're paying nearly ten times the fuel duty.
And they are getting ten times the value from the infrastructure... like wearing and tearing the roads X10, etc, etc, etc. I don't think their fuel tax is a valid argument; it is tantamount to saying that I should pay something towards their fuel costs because I'm saving on mileage. Sorry, but I have to disagree with that point.
To be honest, I think they've only bothered scaling VED to try to deter people from buying dirty great 4x4's purely for the school run. I think they scale because they want more revenue. This all boils down to the national income scale... the more the public charges for its service, the higher the demand for a bigger portion of it for all sorts of ends. It's a vicious circle.

Though it may be a prelude towards moving from fuel taxation to 'per mile' toll charges. If you mean add the VED to the price of fuel, I could easily live with that because it is more equitable.... if I'm gonna do the miles, then I gotta be prepared to pay for them. It's just not right that when I co-operate with the official strategy by leaving my car at home, I am still being taxed as though I wasn't co-operating. My car is taxed for polluting when it is actually standing still for weeks at a time. It's easier to understand than Iliad surely.

If they ever go ahead with this, then they'll need to do something to deter everyone from moving to gas guzzlers, so expect your average 3 litre V6 to attract a four figure rate for VED. I think adding the cost of the VED to the price of fuel will deter people from using gas guzzlers. The cost will be proportional to the mileage and consumption. People will think twice before driving their 4X4s up to Scotland every weekend just because they have a petrol card. Let's face it, even the meanest car on 80 g/km causes more pollution than my 240 g/km when it does X10 my mileage.
On the subject of using public transport, wouldn't it be better to add the global cost to the national tax so everyone can use it free of charge? Wouldn't it induce people to use it if free of charge... so what if it does add a penny or two or three to the tax. How many less cars on the M25 would there be and how many infrastructural projects would not be essential?

We install a government to protect us from all evil but we don't have anyone to protect us from the government itself (other than the vote which too high a percentage of the population don't bother to use).

I didn't really aim for a debate on fiscal policy, but it is always interesting to hear what everyone thinks.

My original concern was on whether the tariff had been wrongly written.

vass

·
Premium Member
764 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
vass20 said:
We install a government to protect us from all evil but we don't have anyone to protect us from the government itself (other than the vote which too high a percentage of the population don't bother to use).

I've long since arrived at the conclusion that we get to vote for a bunch of different people, all of whom will stick it to us in more or less the same way. So while I still go out and vote, it seems like a pretty futile gesture.

My point about toll charging was over this barmy notion that the current bunch sprung on us the within a week of being re-elected for another term (they'd kept quiet about it until then.) The plan is for a radical reduction (or even abolition) of fuel duty, to be replaced by pence per mile charges depending on which roads you use and when you use them.

So if it's going to cost you 300 quid in tolls to drive to London, does it really matter whether you spend 5 quid on fuel for a Smart or five times as much running an 8 litre Bitsubatsu Hogger? If they stick with the original plan, then people will move over to less environmentally friendly vehicles. To combat that, VED will have to go through the roof on bigger engined cars. I'd like to think that this idiotic plan will never get the go-ahead, but they've already started launching satellites for their own, more accurate version of GPS to control it all.

I didn't really aim for a debate on fiscal policy, but it is always interesting to hear what everyone thinks.

My original concern was on whether the tariff had been wrongly written.

Yup, it's best to steer clear of religion and politics. Oh what have we done? :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From Webcode:- "Due to recent budget changes, please note that your rate of Vehicle Excise Duty may vary from that shown on your V11 reminder. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause"
SH*t....

From Horatio:- So if it's going to cost you 300 quid in tolls to drive to London, does it really matter whether you spend 5 quid on fuel for a Smart or five times as much running an 8 litre Bitsubatsu Hogger? If they stick with the original plan, then people will move over to less environmentally friendly vehicles. To combat that, VED will have to go through the roof on bigger engined cars
Yes I see what you mean now. I actually was offered the opportunity to do this sort of tracking by an erstwhile insurer but I didn't think I did enough miles for my input to be significant.

However.... what do you think of the idea of putting the VED on top of the petrol price?

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
But the school run 4x4 is the epitome of all evil now. If you put VED onto fuel prices, then loads more people will buy these things just for carting the sprogs around and doing the Sainsburys run.

If anything, I think things will swing the other way, with VED increasing for larger engined vehicles. They've promised to freeze fuel duty for a while, so they've got to find another way of milking the motorist.

At least VED isn't as bad as it is in Ireland... yet. I suggest putting on some soothing music and taking a few deep breaths before looking up what your 3 litre would cost to tax over there

http://www.eforecourt.com/php/cartax.php

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Horatio said:
But the school run 4x4 is the epitome of all evil now. If you put VED onto fuel prices, then loads more people will buy these things just for carting the sprogs around and doing the Sainsburys run. They need their 4x4s though because without them, how would they park on the pavement??? But it isn't logical that more people will buy guzzlers if the VED is added to the price of petrol... quite the opposite, IMO. Besides, if you're saving on VED, fuel and possibly insurance also, it would be quite an incentive to leave the car at home and travel by train. Likewise, a thrifty motor becomes doubly attractive, no? Well, at least until the railways even things out by raising their tariffs.

If anything, I think things will swing the other way, with VED increasing for larger engined vehicles. They've promised to freeze fuel duty for a while, so they've got to find another way of milking the motorist. Yes, I don't think for a moment that they ever will decrease it

At least VED isn't as bad as it is in Ireland... yet. I suggest putting on some soothing music and taking a few deep breaths before looking up what your 3 litre would cost to tax over there. Yes, I believe you but aren't they still in favour of equestrianism over there?

http://www.eforecourt.com/php/cartax.php
Whatever the direction taken by the decision makers, it is quite obvious that nothing will make one iota of difference because we (and I don't mean only the motorist) will still get milked till we run dry.

vass

1 - 20 of 26 Posts