Independent Renault Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Just beware what your employer has in store for the year end, you could end up out of pocket

Yeah good point. The question was asked before any of our people took them up on the offer........ unofficially we already know what our final payment will be ;)

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Hi Emily's dad

This may be a little late if you have already got your bike but if not I have two suggestions.

Firstly if I am reading the kind of cycling you are thinking of doing right do you really want a mountain bike? The reason I ask is all the bikes that have been mentioned are very specific off road bikes when you may be better looking a a hybrid which will do your tracks etc but is also lighter and more geared up for road riding as well!!

Myself I ride long distances on roads and do some racing so I would not confess to be an expert in Mountain bikes (if you ever want help with road bikes, i'm your man!!) however it is the same with both that the most important thing to look for when buying a bike is a good frame. For this reason I never buy brand new I go on to ebay find the frame I want (do arrange to go and see before you buy), get the bike cheaply and then spend my money adapting to how I like my bikes set up.

You would probably get a good frame for £500 which would leave you near on a £1000 to replace the bits you need to make it the spec you want and you will get a far higher spec this way then buying a new bike which is likely to have some OEM parts which will wear out in no time at all.

Hope this helps :d

P

·
0 Posts
The Univega Ram loks like a very good deal as you get forks with that, im tempted myself
True, but they have some good offers on the forks too, marry the right set with a Scott frame and you'll be a long way toward a nice bike. Especially when you consider that the Scott Genius mc10 is a £2500 bike

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
True, but they have some good offers on the forks too, marry the right set with a Scott frame and you'll be a long way toward a nice bike. Especially when you consider that the Scott Genius mc10 is a £2500 bike
Yer right again:d

P

·
0 Posts
Now now Prag, just cause you do it proper doesn't mean that everyone else has figured it out;)

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Scared huh, want to have a go off road with us:moonie:

Cwmcarn is a nice gentle place to start:d

Edit ~ add link :eek: http://youtube.com/watch?v=kO-y1ux4OG4

Pat I think you misunderstand me, I am happy to go off road and would love to do that ride with you, however I leave to do my land's end to John O'groats bike ride on 3rd May so it may have to after that as it is for charity.

After we have done Cwmcarn can we do the Rhino Pass on road bikes? :d

P

·
0 Posts
I must admit that road riding just isn’t my thing. Not cause I find it scary, just intensely boring. I did a 75mile charity ride a few years ago, and found my mind was more numb than my ar5e:crazy:

Best of luck with the ride though James:)

O

·
0 Posts
Emilysdad, you based anywhere near Bristol? If so, I can point you in the right direction for good advice and a spec that suits you, not the salesman.:d

41 - 55 of 55 Posts