Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the key fob immobiliser components work if i move them into a new fancy-pantsy key that came with my new remote alarm that has its own immobiliser and central locking interface?
Or is the car old enough that there is a hack to permanently disable the Renault immob and rely on my own, please? I only have one original key, and if I lose or damage that, it's game over. And needing 2 keys to drive one car is a PITA :)

Background: I got the car very cheaply from the back of the trade-ins car park, and the battery was flat. And the key fob battery was in back-to-front.

Fitted a new key fob battery as before but it didn't work, then I noticed half the pics I found online were the other way around. Reversed the battery and now the key fob LED flashes twice, but the car doesn't respond. I'm told the multi-timer unit in the footwell needs an injection of money to work. Didn't fancy that.

Bought a new alarm, wired in the central locking and cut the key. The new key disarms the new alarm and turns the lock, but of course the immobiliser doesn't disarm without the official key. I wasn't sure the immobiliser wasn't a fake, before the new key failed to start the car!

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,868 Posts
so you now have two keys that will unlock the car, and turn the ignition on,
just a thought here
could you glue the chip onto the steering column, at a place that it will work ok..

Then still two keys doing their job, of entering and unlocking steering and your chip placed secure and doing its job, allowing starting

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,776 Posts
With many keys, the "chip" is a standalone RFID unit.
And as such would be easy enough to swap about.
With that key, it is embedded into the circuitry, uses the coil as a "pick up", it is not as simple as taking out the chip and putting it into summat else.
Without specific knowledge of the circuitry and a bit of soldering to create a small RFID unit you would be looking to put the whole circuit into a key unit.... which you have anyway.

For what it is worth, my Kia came with one remote lock/unlock fob and two "dumb" keys, both with embedded RFID chips.
I've always had the situation with that where I have a two button fob and a key as two items on the key ring.
Never bin a problem.

What I don't know but am wondering, is if it would be possible to use an alternative RFID chip, programme it with your code and embed that into your new key system?
This type was in Ford (and other) keys before integrated remote fobs became the norm.
Grain of rice for size comparison.
RFID.jpg

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,868 Posts
Why cant he take all the circuit board, complete inside the case, and glue this to the column
Then he would still have his two key blades.
He's not using the central locking of the car now, but his own fitted central locking system

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,776 Posts
Why cant he take all the circuit board, complete inside the case, and glue this to the column
Then he would still have his two key blades.
He's not using the central locking of the car now, but his own fitted central locking system
No reason except that totally bypasses the immobiliser.
If Maddog is okay with that, easy solution, just need to find where to stick it so the pick up ring on the lock reads it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'm looking for any ideas that can work :)

It hadn't occurred to me there'd be room for the whole circuit board, I must admit. I'll take a look around the ignition switch. It didn't work holding the old key near when I used the new one. I tried every angle, so it needs to be closer.

It's an old car, so losing the immobiliser isn't a big problem and the new alarm already prevents the fuel pump from running when it's armed, anyway.

Thanks for suggestions. I'll also see if anyone can clone the key security. I'll crack this, one way or the other :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts