Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a query about the multi tune point fitted to my vehicle.
Software version 2.12

I have used my Ipod classic 20Gb and a 16Gb memory stick without problems (not at the same time of course!). However, not content with 5000 + tunes I decided to purchase an Ipod classic 40Gb. The 'radio' could not detect it so I put music on a 32Gb memory stick, again the 'radio' could not detect it. I am guessing that the system cannot cope with the large capacities??
Noting that there is a new software version out I have followed the download instructions from the Renault page. Getting to the part of going to settings, update software, the instruction says that command (update software) is not available. So I cannot update the system to see if it will operate my larger capacity devices.
Thoughts please?
(Grand Scenic, March 2010, 1.9 dci)

Thanks, Ian

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I'm running a 32Gb memory stick with my Tunepoint at the moment, and have successfully run a 120Gb 2.5" hard drive in the past.

Make sure that you're formatting with FAT32 rather than NTFS. Windows should be happy to do either with a drive up to 32Gb, but for anything bigger, you'll need a special formatting tool, e.g. http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

There's no reason why Windows can't format beyond 32Gb, except that Microsoft decided to impose that limit. Windows can happily read and write FAT32 drives much larger than that. It just won't format them.

This is the stick I'm running right now: http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=108023 . It's fine apart from dropping out to the radio every once in a while, and I'm convinced that's a fault with the USB socket on my car. The only reason I switched from the 120Gb drive to the 32Gb stick was that I was having problems with the music dropping out. It still happens with the stick (and with other memory sticks that I've tried) but the problem is nowhere near as bad, probably because the disk doesn't physically lose speed when the power is cut.

Regarding iPods: My understanding is that Tunepoint will only work with devices that Windows sees as a hard drive. If you can only access your music via iTunes, then it's unlikely to work with Tunepoint.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. The 32 Gb stick was NTFS- unfortunately I have given my 'small' Ipod to my son so can't check that, and the 40Gb Ipod classic is Itunes. So will be sorting that out very soon.
Ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a quick update-
reformatted the 32Gb NTFS stick to FAT32 and that problem solved. Plays correctly.
I have also solved the update software problem by reformatting the stick and copying renault update software across- obviously the format of the stick was causing problems. Radio software updated.

If I reformat my Ipod will it cause the Ipod to malfunction? It shows as FAT32 but is not detected by the radio system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts