Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi can any body help .I have a o4 clio and it was running fine , I had it left over xmas and with the weather the battery went flat and it would not start

Mt friend tried to bump start it (big mistake) and it made like a poping sound, I parked it back up and noticed that even though it felt like it was in gear the car would roll forward as if it was in nuteral

some one had looked and told me to get a new gear box is this right dose any one noe of this happening to them ,,,please help

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does it start now? I would make sure it starts first. There is no point repairing the gearbox if car does not start. If you had damaged the gearbox then it must have been on its way out anyway unless your bump start was very rough or engine seized.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Before you rush out and buy a gearbox there are two more likely scenarios.
1. you've stripped the clutch lining 2.The clip which retains the diff on the passenger side has broken or come out.
As google44 said get it started first (charge the battery up?). Then try putting it in gear and letting the clutch up. If you get a bit of pull then you've probably stripped the clutch lining. If you get no pull at all then it's probably option 2.
This is easy to check. Jack up the passenger side and drain the gearbox oil. Undo the 3 screws which hold the driveshaft gaiter to the gearbox. Pull back the top of the gaiter and you'll see a large clip and spacer loose in the boot. If the clip has broken half of it may have fallen into the gearbox. The clip and spacer are available at Renault agents for about £7 the pair. To relace them remove the n/s driveshaft. Make sure you put a rag in the gap under the diff to stop you dropping the new spacer or clip into the box!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks for this I will change the battery first and check for the pull.

if it is the clutch lining do i need a new clutch ?? or gear box?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for that no it dose not start i am going to change the batterys I thought buying a new gear box was the wronf thing to dojust yet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts