Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all,
ive had some 60mm springs on my car for a good while now but have only recently put a 172 body kit on my car.
its looks awesome but the front needs to be lower.
ill post up pics when i get a chance but i dont think its low enough yet.
does anybody know where i can get 70mm or maybe 80mm front springs from?
also, i would like to say my car isnt stupid low and i get over bumps very easy :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
personal preference really, i doenst NEED to be lower but would look nicer if it did.
its not like i want it sitting on the floor, just dont like a gap inbetween the wheel and the wheel arch.
i think it looks a lot nicer without it and my handling has improved a lot since putting the 60mm springs on.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Mods and Bods

Hi pupsi - I see your point - you could also fit bigger wheels - would have the same effect. But there obviously limits to the amount of clearance required for obvious safety reasons - maybe that's why you can't find lower springs. You could end up with a nice looking car that was undrivable - it would just be a stationary posing machine. LOL:) Be careful about any mods you make - seek professoinal advice. Can I ask you an honest question. Have you notified your car insurers of any or all modifications you have or intend to carry out? If not it could mean your insurance is null and void and I don't see why other drivers should shoulder the financial responsibilty in the event of an accident. I'm sure your insurer's could give some advice on this issue. Additionally would it pass MOT?:steam:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
my dads a mechanic so everything that has been done to the car has been done by me and him so it has been done professionally i assure you.
as for insurance, ive notified them of most of my 'mods', just the expensive things or anything liable to change the driving of the car i.e. springs, bodykit, alloy wheels (cost ALOT to add to the insurance).
to be honest, i cant afford to add the tiny things like the angel eye headlights, but at least i know the main things are done.
got my mot about a week ago with flying colours :d
also, ive got big enough wheels on there, 17s with 205/45 tyres on.
ive measured up and had a look and another 10-20mm would be fine with the wheel being able to full lock and not hitting when going up and down bumps.
i would also like to point out that i am not a boy racer, and havent done the car 'max power stylee', i just like a good looking car :)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
HI pupsi what clearance do you currrently have between tyre and body and wish bones. Also what is the maximum travel of front suspension.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Pupsi,it might be worth you contacting BexGDI or AndyGDI on the forum.They run a company called Grey Devil Industries and are the experts when it comes to tuning and modifying Clios.They might be able to supply some lower springs or point you in the right direction to someone who can.

The ideal thing to have would be some adjustable coilovers,but they are seriously expensive.......

My own knowledge of lowering suspension is somewhat limited,so I would contact the experts.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm, have had a think about it and am most likely going to leave it as is. reason being if i go lower on the front it might mess up the handling, also, dont really want to spend more money on suspension when the ride is brilliant as it is.
thanks for the input guys, also, noel, have a look in the 'Mottahs' section and you can see how low the car is for yourself.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Sorry Pupsi but lowered cars don't appeal to me in the slightest and in all honesty it don't improve the handling much. If I don't like what I got I go and get something different as it's usually cheaper in the long run. Don't like all that hassle and increased insurance costs. Just as well you don't live in New Zealand as they have introduced a minimum ride height for vehicles and if the cops stop you and it don't measure right - they stick a pink slip on your screen and the car can't be moved unless on the back of trailer. In all honesty if I want to pose I'll buy a new suit and maybe invest in some plastic surgery:rofl: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I think my experience with lowered cars is the opposite of madnoel's - even spoken to a copper who was praising his lowered Galaxy's handling!

Even so, there is a thing as too low!! Pupsi - I think you're doing the right thing not going any lower!!

O

·
0 Posts
I was just looking at the pics in the other thread and thought it looked bang on, post up some more pics so we can see properly but I don't think you need to worry about lowering it any further.

Having said that, you're the one that looks at it every day and if you think it needs lowering a bit more then go for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
alrite mate, av just got some -60mm lowering springs with some 17" alloys for my 1.6L 16v 2002 clio, just wanna know if you had 2do anything 2 the arches when you put the springs on?
cheers

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Lower lower Parker - get your head down

As a matter of interest what gonna hold the rear ones in and stop them falling out. Just a thought.:confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts