Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new, hopefully I posted in the right place...

I recently bought a Clio RXE 1.6l auto, love the car, a really nice drive.

However, recently she stared to stutter and conk out.

I know the temperature gage only works sporadically, the fan does kick in just as sporadically.
We have a replacement thermostat but need to fit it yet.

So when I'm driving, sometimes she just starts to stutter and then stops... When I then re-start her sometimes she works fine and more times she just stutters again... She seemed to run on 3 cylinders only sometimes...

We've changed the spark plugs, ht leads, air filter and the coil packs.

She seemed fine so I went back to work, I'm a delivery driver using my own car.

First delivery went fine, on the second she did it again, I just managed to pull into a carpark.
Just managed to get her home, only had to stop and re-start her twice...

Does anyone have any ideas please?
I'm at my wits end...

Thanks,

Doro

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
5,201 Posts
On or near the thermostat housing you will see the temperature sensor,
check if it as clean connections. your new thermostat may have a new
sensor already fitted if cleaning the sensor fitting your new thermostat
may help.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,112 Posts
Always worth checking and cleaning the Crank Sensor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On or near the thermostat housing you will see the temperature sensor,
check if it as clean connections. your new thermostat may have a new
sensor already fitted if cleaning the sensor fitting your new thermostat
may help.
Thank you for this, will try it tomorrow... and let you know if it did the trick :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
It would interesting to consult the parameters of the coolant temp in the injection ecu - if the coolant temp reading is incorrect, the ECU will adjust fuelling (rich or lean, depending) to conpensate for what it might think is a cold engine. This could possibly cause the symptoms you mention.

The fact that you can "stop and restart" would indicate to me that there is a sporadic fault causing this issue, that the ECU 'forgets' once you cycle the ignition (i.e. turning it off and on again 😆), until, of course, the fault reoccurs.

What year is the car and what engine?

·
Super mod..
27,692 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new, hopefully I posted in the right place...

I recently bought a Clio RXE 1.6l auto, love the car, a really nice drive.

However, recently she stared to stutter and conk out.

I know the temperature gage only works sporadically, the fan does kick in just as sporadically.
We have a replacement thermostat but need to fit it yet.

So when I'm driving, sometimes she just starts to stutter and then stops... When I then re-start her sometimes she works fine and more times she just stutters again... She seemed to run on 3 cylinders only sometimes...

We've changed the spark plugs, ht leads, air filter and the coil packs.

She seemed fine so I went back to work, I'm a delivery driver using my own car.

First delivery went fine, on the second she did it again, I just managed to pull into a carpark.
Just managed to get her home, only had to stop and re-start her twice...

Does anyone have any ideas please?
I'm at my wits end...

Thanks,

Doro
Moved to electronics..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would interesting to consult the parameters of the coolant temp in the injection ecu - if the coolant temp reading is incorrect, the ECU will adjust fuelling (rich or lean, depending) to conpensate for what it might think is a cold engine. This could possibly cause the symptoms you mention.

The fact that you can "stop and restart" would indicate to me that there is a sporadic fault causing this issue, that the ECU 'forgets' once you cycle the ignition (i.e. turning it off and on again 😆), until, of course, the fault reoccurs.

What year is the car and what engine?
Hi,
it's a 1.6l engine, year 2000, K4J if that makes any sense?
Thanks
Doro

·
Registered
62 Posts
Crankshaft sensor was not unknown to fail on these - a new sensor and a modified connector was required.
To 'confirm' it, when the engine was at fault (i.e. the engine just cranks over and doesn't fire), reach down to the sensor about the flywheel and manipulate the sensor and connector (it won't move excessively but do what you can).
If it then fired up when cranked again, fit a new sensor and solder in a new connector too.

Last time I did this was a long time ago, so I am happy to be corrected...

This is not a proper diagnosis method (a diagnostic tester should be used and there will be no engine speed signal in the 'live data' parameters when the engine is at fault) but it could be something you can do to see if it makes a difference...

Better still, 'scope the sensor too and crank the engine to check the state of the signal...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, it wasn't the thermostat either because we just replaced it...

Funnily enough the car didn't even accept an electronic fault reader, it just came up with 'linking error'...

she's now booked into a garage for next wednesday because I couldn't get anything earlier where I live...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts