Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, it's been a while since i was last on here, and now the weather is warmer i'm going to attempt to sort my heating problem in my Lag mk1. She deserves it and godamnit so do i after all the fighting i've done to keep her.

All i'm after is a little clarification. . .

My internal fan does not work on settings 2,3 or 4 and the only thing i get from setting 1 is enough cold air to clear my windscreen and give me enough visibility to see how cold it is outside.

The way i see it is that i have 2 problems. The first, the resistor pack has packed up it's fuses and headed for warmer climates, and the second is, the heater matrix is possibly blocked in some way and refuses to give me any hot air (which is more than can be said for the Mrs on the matter).

I am looking for someone to argue this as i'm thinking of attacking the problem in the next couple of days (to shut her in doors up) and i cannot find the very useful thread that was here on this site, some number of months ago.

Either way, whether i hear from you guys or not, i will let you know how i get on..... failing that ... you'll probably hear the Mrs from wherever you are!

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Hi bobo ,I had the same issue with mine just pumping out cold air, The fans I have no idea what it could be other than a blown fuze, but the best way to check the heater matrix is to remove the glove box and @ the bulkhead on the right hand side you will see 2 silver pipes after she has been running for a bit see if there warm, hopefully hot, but be carefull they can be boiling as mine where :rant: if this is the case check on the left side of the drivers footwell as the adjuster cable from the dash meets the heater matrix, if this cable has snapped like mine has all you need to do is turn it clockwise and hopefully hot air. one thing to also check is that you dont have an air block in the pipes in the engine compartment you will see 2 pipes going to the bulkhead and one has a screw on top, turn this gently anti-clockwise and see if water comes out if so then it doesnt look like an air block and you may then need to flush the heater matrix, There is a thread on this, Good luck and I hope this helps in some way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
after inspection..

Guys thank you for your help. I spent yesterday stripping down the car to access the control panel for the heating dials and found that the "blade" that the connectors run along to power settings 2, 3 & 4 were covered in something that took 5 minutes of wire wool scrubbing to sort out.

This now allows me to blow out a lot of cold air which means i'm half way there. This morning i've unscrewed the bleed screw and i got a couple of tiny bubbles followed by a flow of coolant which means, sadly, i don't have the air pocket i was hoping for. Anyway, i took the glove box out and felt the two pipes leading down to the matrix. The bottom pipe is very hot near the bulkhead but not at the bottom, and the top pipe is cold all the way down. Isn't the top pipe the inlet to the matrix and if so, how screwed does my heating system sound?

Thanks in advance for any posts

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Heater hoses

Hi Chris Just to correct you the heat enters the matrix at the top as cold water falls - it's really only a smaller verson of a radiator where the hot water from the engine enters the top and returns via the bottom hose.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a penny for your thoughts

Thanks Chris, i'll try flushing her as soon as i get a chance and will keep my fingers crossed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts