Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought this v6 laguna 2003 about 2 months ago approx. and me n wifey have since fallen in luv with it. it had its usual probs like rear bushes need replacing, bottom rear engine mount req. replacing, needed a new xenon headlight due to it being pretty cracked and its a req. to pass our RWC (roadworthy certificate) before it can be registered in our name, few globes and wipers, etc.
it was cold for the first couple months here in melbourne, auatralia and it fan pretty well and the temp gauge was pretty much constantly at the correct position. last week we had our 1st taste of summer during our spring month. it reached approx. 34 degrees C and it began overheating. it actually got right to the top and the red warning msg popped up displaying STOP - WATER TEMP.. The top rad hose was perished and was leaking coolant. i managed to get it home and i replaced the hose and topped up the system followed by bleeding air out of it. it seemed fi ne for a week then another hot day n night happened and guess what?!?! -- it began overheating again with the STOP - Water temp, warning msg again. At this point i began to think i bought a lemon. now sinces day 1 of the car being with us it always had the thermofans running whilst driving and sitting at traffic lights. even after arriving at our destination/s and switching off the car, i would hear the thermo fans on and they would stay on for a further maybe 4 mins even after locking the car. this was our 1st renault so i thought maybe they switch on early and try to keep the cars cooling system cooler than most other cars......well after removing the thermostat housing so that I could check the thermostat was functioning properly and opening properly, i noticed the thermostat was stuck in the housing so bad that i couldn't remove it even after trying to lever or pry up the thermostat with screwdrivers and mini pry bars. i finally levered it out and noticed that the seal inside the housing had become corroded and was stuck to the thermostat almost like it was superglued to it. i gently removed the corrosion from the outer body of the thermostat and cleaned up the seal as best as i could. i then applied a very small amount of Castrol Rubber Grease to the seal and the body of the thermostat and then i found that the thermostat slid in its place there in the seal quite easily but snug at the same. i bolted everything back up and filled the system with water only (just incase it didn't fix the problem of overheating and i would have to drain system again, it would have been a waste of coolant ... & $30 odd dollarydoos!) i opened all bleed holes/plugs/bolts which are located on drivers side top of radiator, 2 x allen key bolts on thermostat housing and lastly on top of heater hose. i slowly filled the system and when water emerged from radiator bleed hole I screwed in the plag, then when water flowed out of the thermo. housing bolt bleed holes, i screwed them in and finally when water flowed from heater hose bleed hole i screwed that in and filled up to 3/4 full reservoir tank. i ran the engine for about 7 - 8 mins. till the top radiator hose was hot and the bottom radiator hose was warm. i then put the cap on the coolant expansion tank and went for a drive. i wasnt driving like a grandma but also i wasnt using WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and the temp. guage needle stayed where its supposed to: between 1/4 & 1/2 way. I sat in traffic and kept close watch on that temp. guage plus it was a pretty warm day, averaging about 28 degrees C and when i arrived back in the driveway i left the car running and checked under the bonnet for any leaks or suspect behaviour. the bottom rad. hose was hot but not as hot as the top rad. hose plus the thermo fans were NOT running. i waited & waited & waited but still no thermo fans even after 3 - 4 mins of sitting there idling. then finally after another minute or two of waiting the thermo fan turned on and cooled tne radiator coolant down and then the thermo fan switched off after about 45 seconds of running. JACKPOT!!!! i then knew the cooling system is now operating as per usual. the thermostat was blocked/stuck in 1 position and im fairly certain it was stuck in the slightly open position to allow some coolant to pass thru and circulate but no where near enough to cool down the system enough on a hot day.
sorry for the epic saga, but i felt it needed to be shared this story in case others have or have had this problem and im hoping this will help them save their engine before its too late.
Thank Ye,
Anth
p.s. - if anybody has questions as to how to remove the thermostat housing, i am more than willing to help out. Cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well written..Have a Laguna 2 V6 here in NZ and have had recently a slow water leak recent from the back plastic heater outlet..( warn O rings ) so know how to do all
that including the Thermostat. If you need that rubber outer thermostat seal its a Citroen part available these days from Citroen Part # P134042 but a bit expensive at about $70 - $80....Can't seem to get it online or anywhere else at a better price...
I ended up putting two rubber o rings on the plastic heater outlet fitting...one on the very end which has a small ledge on it ...hi quality super glued to the plastic pipe and the other on where the O ring normally goes...
Works a treat...felt that two O rings would be better then one...No leaks anyway...Another thing of interest I recently discovered is the Airbag connectors actually under the seat runners...Have to take the front seats out to access these..no other way. Anyway padding under the bottom floor connector with some foam closed cell padding to help support the connector as its a bit flimsy..A decent clean with decent contact cleaner as well. No more intermittent airbag lights on the dashboard...very happy...Good luck with your Lag V6...am happy with mine...has been a good easily repaired car once I work it out... See mine on Honest Johns owners reviews website..Its the only V6 in the owners review. Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
Just one comment. If the needle is dropping to 1/4 after it has warmed up you may still have a sticky problem. I would have thought that the stat should keep the needle at the operating temperature +/- a needle width.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes...sounds like the outer rubber seal is riding on the thermostat...its closing fine as the outer seal rides back and rams against the aluminum housing...but
when its open too much coolant may be escaping and the thermostat is not regulating the temperature...you probably need to renew the outer seal rather then trying
to repair it...Needs to be located into the housing carefully.Perhaps pressing with a machine rather then knocking it in with a drift/socket...Cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes...sounds like the outer rubber seal is riding on the thermostat...its closing fine as the outer seal rides back and rams against the aluminum housing...but
when its open too much coolant may be escaping and the thermostat is not regulating the temperature...you probably need to renew the outer seal rather then trying
to repair it...Needs to be located into the housing carefully.Perhaps pressing with a machine rather then knocking it in with a drift/socket...Cheers
Correction...I re read your story and you said "between 1/4 and a 1/2...which is 1/3 which is roughly where mine sits...as long as is doesn't fluctuate like Brendan read it as, then its fine althou those seals can be a problem once the steel inside starts expanding due to corrosion...even with good anti corrosion coolant the metal/seal may start swelling.
Cheers and good luck...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No
Correction...I re read your story and you said "between 1/4 and a 1/2...which is 1/3 which is roughly where mine sits...as long as is doesn't fluctuate like Brendan read it as, then its fine althou those seals can be a problem once the steel inside starts expanding due to corrosion...even with good anti corrosion coolant the metal/seal may start swelling.
Cheers and good luck...
no Fluctuating, it sits where it’s supposed to. But cheers and yes we’re happy with the v6. we drove around it the other day when it was 43 C with ac blasting all day. absolutely luv it and no probs. Amazing wat new coolant and a good working cooling system can get u thru....almost anything lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just one comment. If the needle is dropping to 1/4 after it has warmed up you may still have a sticky problem. I would have thought that the stat should keep the needle at the operating temperature +/- a needle width.
sorry no dropping from 1/2 to 1/4. Not exactly 1/3 but closer to 1/2. It reaches and stays there. Drove it around on a couple of 42.C - 43.C temp days with and without ac on and did not have a problem.
sorry if my write up was unclear ... hope this clears it up
cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts