Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well thanks for having a look my PC is a LG and is working with windows XP which iam keeping and iam on-line with BT Broadband Total Home Hub which you probely know is already wireless but it is not set up as i have not had a laptop until today and i was just wondering if the laptop i have bought is ok and will the two PCs work together, you know i have no idea about these bloody things so a guess is you will be helping me in the next few days:d :d :d Did i ever tell you all that you are just the best members anyone could ever have:d so if i need help will you please be kind to me:)

This is it and has it got what i need????:confused:

TOSHIBA Pentium 2060 15.4in wide screen laptop with vista home basic edition.

Intel Pentium 2060 processor

512Mb DDR2 RAM

60Gb hard drive

14.4in TFT WXGA display

DVD super multi duel layer

ATI radeon xpress 200M 128Mb UDA graphics

integrated wifi 802.11 a/g

Vista home basic edition

your help or views would be great cheers Donald.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I like the Tosh's. Decent quality at good prices :d I'm not a huge fan of the ATI Radeon video hardware, as it's given me some serious hassle in the past. But that tends to be what you get at entry level on most notebooks these days, and I wouldn't worry about it unduly.

If you're enabling the wireless, then make sure you change the SSID (network name) to something unusual but not personally identifiable (your favourite cartoon character or something like that.) Be sure to enable WPA or WPA2 (security) with a long, random-ish passphrase.

And with a laptop, don't routinely close the lid unless you need to in order to move it around. The first thing to go is usually the screen, and it's generally because the cables between the motherboard and the screen break down internally by being repeatedly flexed as the screen hinges are operated.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks Horatio that sounds like great advice i had a samsung flip phone that went with opening and closing like what you desribed years back:mad: not even a year old but was able to claim through my insurance:)

The Toshiba i bought is my first time for this make it was either that or Hi-Grade but i had never heared of it so was unsure so i stuck to the brand i knew.Theres always the one you would like but i have to be honest it was out my reach and had things i probely would never of used, it was a Sony at £1299:crazy: i only had a spare £500 and i was able to save £80 and i got a carry Targus case and Philips head phones so i think i got a good deal???i probely got ripped off knowing my luck:d

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Yeah, Was their a big price difference in a Vista or XP lappy Donald .

Quite a few Members have Vista now so their should be plenty of advice available on the Forums Donald, You might have probs running your existing programs, Like Camera, Phone, Printer drivers etc.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, Was their a big price difference in a Vista or XP lappy Donald .

Quite a few Members have Vista now so their should be plenty of advice available on the Forums Donald, You might have probs running your existing programs, Like Camera, Phone, Printer drivers etc.

Regards

Ottoman
:( :( well iam not that big of a pc buff anyway i just hope it does me for using on the forum and giving more independance to move around with it and take it with me when using the caravan and i will still do most things on the big PC if you get what iam saying.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Better with the Vista then I think Donald for £30.

Your camera has a card say Sd or xD well just take it from your camera and pop it in a slot at the side of your Lappy have a look round it and you should see one a multi card reader it saves connecting up USB cables from your camera etc to download Pics/data.

Also with your new lappy others will be able to use the PC at the same time once you enable your wireless connection.

Its a good idea for a family and as you say will give you freedom to roam.

Regards

Ottoman

Regards

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Better with the Vista then I think Donald for £30.

Your camera has a card say Sd or xD well just take it from your camera and pop it in a slot at the side of your Lappy have a look round it and you should see one a multi card reader it saves connecting up USB cables from your camera etc to download Pics/data.

Also with your new lappy others will be able to use the PC at the same time once you enable your wireless connection.

Its a good idea for a family and as you say will give you freedom to roam.

Regards

Ottoman

Regards

:) :) :) cheers otto all starting to make sense yes have it all thats super great iam all excited now learnt lots today well pleased:d

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Thaks for the Rep Donald.

If you are upsatirs with the Lappy you will be able to mail downstairs for things....Like chocolateor if it is the other way round mail upstars for your wife to get up and make you a cuppa ...if you are brave enough that is...

If you are stuck with anything just ask Donald lots here only to willing to help.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thaks for the Rep Donald.

If you are upsatirs with the Lappy you will be able to mail downstairs for things....Like chocolateor if it is the other way round mail upstars for your wife to get up and make you a cuppa ...if you are brave enough that is...

If you are stuck with anything just ask Donald lots here only to willing to help.

Regards

Ottoman
Cheers Otto if i did that to Alison she would kick my ¤¤¤¤:d :d :d

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah know what you mean Donald but worth a try eh .

Regards

Ottoman
:d i have tried many other tatics for them not to work the best one has to be, i wish i could make tea like yours,your tea tastes the best:d it worked:d ;)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
:d i have tried many other tatics for them not to work the best one has to be, i wish i could make tea like yours,your tea tastes the best:d it worked:d ;)
You could also mail her a love letter Donald and tell her all the sweet things she means to you and how she makes you feel.

Regards

Ottoman

1 - 20 of 25 Posts