Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i mentioned in my (re)welcome thread, this is my second laguna (see avatar for my first. should never have gotten rid of that car. loved it)

when i bought it, it had a few issues.

clutch went straight to the floor
misfire
a hole in the rear quarter covered in plumbers mait (im not kidding!)

ive been nibbling away at those issues since monday.
i bought a injector off of ebay as i was sure the misfire was a injector issue. i started the car and worked my way along the injector rail pulling the wiring plug off to see which cyl made no difference. when the plugged was pulled of 2,3 and 4 it stalled the car (unsurprisingly) injector 1 (which i got to last) made No difference. i swapped the new injector in without coding it and it ran perfectly. win. slight issue, the idiot that removed it from its previous home broke the wiring locking tab, so that injector is going back, grrr.

the rear quarter panel was a little more tricky.
first thing i did as i couldnt get to the back of the hole was weld a bolt to the bottom of the dent and use a slide hammer to pull it out (a bit)
then i welded the hole up and gave it a coating of filler.
sanded that back, another skim of filler then sand, mask, prime, paint(that last stage has to wait til i have paint)
i use a gun applied acrylic high build primer)

last was the clutch issue.
if i pump it up it works for a while then disappears as you're driving. with that and adding the fact that the brake fluid is BLACK, then i diagnosed it as a failed slave. as its silly to do all that work and not replace the clutch, i decided to drop a clutch in. rang around all the usual suspects and everyone wanted £130 for a 3 piece kit. que looking at ebay and finding a GENUINE clutch (only 2 piece) for £50

add to that a sachs slave (yet to arrive) and ill have a working clutch again.

having taken the box out

i am sorry to say it seems a monkey has been in here before me, the clutch had 3 stripped and one snapped bolt. sigh, out comes the helicoil kit again ... how hard is it to find a 6.3mm drill bit! never mind a 3mm left hand bit!

clutch ready to go in now though.

and that's all for today folks, been a long day. but productive.

to do, plug this facelift (and higher spec) dash in and see if it works. im doubtful but i can always resell it...

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
been slowly nibbling away at this, mostly held up by parts taking forever to arrive....

old slave had definitely shat itself, brake fluid seeps out rather quickly when its pushed closed.

i suppose it must be easier on a ramp, the job time is supposed to be about 6 hours in total for a clutch change... it took me 5 hours (on my own) to just get the box bolted to the engine...

anyway, box is hanging from its mounts again, tomorrows job will be to reattach starter motor, drive shafts, hubs, do the brakes (found a set of genuine pads today for £18) and generally just put everything back together.

also on my job list for today has been the paintwork (i like to have two jobs on the go so when one pees me off i can distract myself :) )

im using waterbased paint now, as its easiest to get hold of, but its a real pain to spray. the biggest issue is the drying time. this is helped greatly by having a heater (preferably a fan heater)

aimed at the panel you are painting. this doesn't work if you're painting a entire car. all you can do then is try to get the air temperature up as high as possible. also there is a completely different set of techniques for painting water based. just to make life fun :)

so this is the first (dust coat)

coat 2

just have to lacquer it now. i would like to use a 2k lacquer, but im not a fan of dying, so i will use a petrol proof 1k lacquer

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
been working long hours this last two days so havent done anything to the car.

just got a growing list of niggles to sort out

these two rust spots at the top of the windscreen are quite high on that list(thats rust converter you see dripping from the spots)...

here are the final pics of the bodywork repair on the rear quarter

and all the gearbox and hubs are back in, just waiting for a delivery of oil :)

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
so that was quite a day.

i did the belts in about 35mins this morning (most of the car was apart anyway) only to have it refuse to start. 8 sodding hours later i found the used injector i fitted was leaking back so much fuel it wasn't gaining enough rail pressure to fire the injectors. i guess it needs more than 5bar!.(new diagnostic computer has some cool live data modes) of course fuel pressure was the 1st thing i checked so that threw me!

so all in all a annoying day. however, i now have a working clutch, all the front brakes are built up as new, and all i need now it to take the injectors to be refurbed and itll run like a champ.

ive also replced all the fluids, pas, brake,oil, gearbox, coolant etc, all new filters etc so its good for a while now.

on my to do list now is to sort the rear brakes (handbrake is awol) and get a new tyre lobbed on the front..

so whilst this £100 banger has been a lot of work, it only owes me about £300 total, and it should be good for a long time. i hate to run cars into the ground, but this one is so cheap.....

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,193 Posts
But How many years ago was it changed,.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
today i took my injectors for a refurb, so whilst waiting for them i decided to have a look at the rear brakes, as the handbrake is useless.

well yeah. both inboard pads nonexistent. £14 later(trade price) and pistons cleaned up and wound back, caliper body cleaned up, new pads in and all is well with the world again.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rusty bits where repaired today.

wire brush on a grinder

masked

then 4 coats of high build primer to fill the dimples left by the rust then flatted smooth with 1000 grit then paint and lacquer

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just spent £60+vat to find out that not only is my dodgy injector Beyond repair (not really surprised) but the other three need a stage 3 rebuild, so its cheaper to buy recon injectors. the problem with that? £150+vat EACH!

so that's £66 wasted(that i don't really have) and £190 spent for a set of used injectors with test certs and a guarantee from another supplier.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the car was a gamble, and for approx £600 i now have (or will soon) a good reliable car with all the common faliure points resolved and many years use left in it. i could have spent double that and gotten a dog, so all in all im not too unhappy. also when i sell my current daily driver ill gain about 3k (and about 30mpg more which is my reason for changing) so its not too painful really

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so the injectors i ordered (warrented and tested) are knackered, only two of them flow, so engine struggles to start then stalls.

gave up, went to my local breaker, grabbed 4 working injectors and stuck them in, runs fine. so the tested injectors are going back.

so thats the last of all the parts arrived... except the windscren wipers :( so i drove it out of the garage and washed it

nearly there folks.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,193 Posts
Mine looked like that 2 years ago.. :wink2:
Not sure what happened, :frown2: maybe a few trees jumped out, couple of walls that had moved forward a few feet...:crying2:
Just not really sure:nerd:

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,708 Posts
Mine looked like that 2 years ago.. :wink2:
Not sure what happened, :frown2: maybe a few trees jumped out, couple of walls that had moved forward a few feet...:crying2:
Just not really sure:nerd:
Or could it have been a terrible driver got hold of it ...or the fact that it rolled away from you >:)

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so its all in use now and a few observations can be made.

1) damn! id forgotten how comfortable and refined these are!
2) i've got a loud clicking/tapping noise in time with one of the injectors firing, it wasn't there before, ill work out which one it is and swap it for one of the 'nearly good enough' originals.
3) now the laguna is on the road, i'd better sort my other car out and make it ready for sale.

so to that end...(slight thread diversion but bear with me)

first issue was at 178000 miles, its nose was so pock marked that it was going rusty.

so paint cleaned off, and KuRst used to prevent it rusting again (you can never get rid of all the rust unless you chemical dip)

then primer paint and lacquer

after that polish and wax(not pictured)

then ive got a small issue in one of the rear wheel arches.

started off as a small bubble,

so grind back and kurst

weld patches in (not pictured)

quick skim of filler and paint

(i seem to have lost the pic of the topcoat :( )

so thats all the cosmetic issues sorted...

all ive now got to do i sort a issue with the front diff and then its for sale.

oh, AND clean the bloody thing! its been used as a workhorse so its filthy inside outside and underneath!

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, you remember point 2 in the post above?

not the injectors...

it had been running on three (and possible diluting the sump oil with diesel) for so long that when i stuck working injectors in it it decided to let me know just how F***ed the engine actually is. didnt see that coming. :(

big end bearings started getting louder and louder. so i took it back off the road sharpish.

my 4x4 sold yesterday so in the garage it went and i dropped the oil.

all shiny :( full of white metal shavings.

ok i thought, sump off lets have a look.

i grabbed my female tx socket set (i've been here before lol) and slid underneath to be presented with..... several rounded bolts. OH BOY! this WILL be fun. i just hope the end four are ok (you see where i'm going with this?)

so i got all but 3 of the visible bolts out so it was just onto the 4 recessed ones. first one, out she came, no problems. 2nd, bit of a struggle but we got there . 3rd, another easy one. 4th on the other hand...... bugger.

completely rounded.

so out come my alldrive 1/4" drive set and the 5.5mm one gets hammered on. no joy.
a 5.5mm 6 point socket? nope not going to work.

a 5mm all drive? nope

so here i am, out of options. im left with a stub of a bolt, no small drill bit long enough to drill it (and i cant drill it with a big one, wont fit in the hole) so i had a think.

i decided whatever i was going to do the sump wasn't going to survive. so out came the plasma cutter. bugger, it doesn't work. got all the balls of a 3 week old sheep. wont even cut tinfoil.

ok so angle grinder it is. i was cutting away the corner of the sump when... (you'll never believe this) the gearbox explodes. milwaukee quality my ****. only 18 months old...

so down to screwfix i go, buy the worlds cheapest grinder, and a 3" air cutoff saw whilst im at it. back home and i attack the sump with gusto (and a lot of care)

eventually (after about 5 hours to this point) i could get a mig torch to the bolt. so i weld a m8 bolt to the head of the knackered sump bolt, give it 5 to cool off, and... undid it. no problem. wasn't even that tight.

so i then welded bolts to the rest of the knackered heads, wound them out and was presented with the windage tray. after 5 mins trying to work out where all the bolts are (seriously there's only 1 holding it in!) drop that out the way, no1 bearing cap off, pushed the piston up a inch and pulled the other half of the bearing out.... to be presented with this:

heavily worn, but not as bad as i was expecting.

the issue i have now is there's no way the mains are getting done. whilst in theory i could do them without taking the engine out, id have to take the gearbox back off and that thing was a total b!tch.

so there we go folks. A Set of big end bearings, a sump gasket and a new sump are winging there way to me, and maybe all will be ok with the world next week.

on the other hand if when its done its still knocking like a demented midget with a club hammer, i'll drive it till it dies and swap the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
big end bearings all swapped (not something ive done without pulling a engine to bits on the bench before. i couldn't see any reason why it couldn't be done in the car, i was right, it was easier than expected.)

(new) sump back on about half the bolts fitted back in waiting for more bolts to arrive i really hope they arrive tomorrow, i need the car tomorrow evening.

the state the bearings are in i'm not surprised it was knocking, so im hoping all will be well and the mains have survived the ordeal.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts