Independent Renault Forums banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
in reference to

i now have a new turbo.

the process for ftting the turbo is well understood so theres no need for me to go over old ground but i would like to take a few moments to review the chinky turbo :D

i unboxed it and found... a turbo. nothing special, but it did come with a warranty card with do’s and donts to keep the warrenty valid, i twas written in good english so that was nice...

when setting up the vgt side of it i discovered it didnt have the requisite 3mm of play before the arm started to move. (checked againt the old turbo to confirm) this meant when set correctly according to the manual, it never hit the stop at max vacuum. after pondering a bit, i ended up setting it up so at the required vacuum the arm had just started to move (less than 1mm) and then at max travel it was within 1mm of the stop.

bolting the turbo up was complicated by the fact the flange on the turbo for mounting to the manifold is a good 10mm thicker than the standard turbo. this meant i had to fit new studs. not the end of the word, as i had a proper stud extractor kit, but without that it would have meant taking the manifold back off.... not a good problem to have when the manifold was on the bench 10mins previously... and its 2am...

once fitted i fitted new injector washers and took it for a run and found...

no problems.

the car now runs better than it ever has and will now pull hard to the redline with no eml. better on fuel too :D

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
did the rear shocks today.... what ever moron decided to have the inner tube of the bush slide into the subframe so it seizes and takes a welder and a bloody great lump hammer to remove, should be hung drawn and quartered, revived in a goa'uld sarcophagus and hung drawn and quartered again. and repeat for good measure.

grrrr.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
just maintenance. its been around the block a few times so not surprising. shaking the old shocks makes them sound like maracas! so defo needed changing.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
oh the drama!

on friday the car decided out of the blue (with a loud bang as i went over a bump and lots of scraping) that it wanted to 'be down with the kidz' and join the stance scene!

so i walked back up the road, and picked up the spring that made a bid for freedom, then went and did my shopping (well i'm here now! might as well!)

after slowly driving home, i parked up until i got a chance to look at it.

yesterday i pulled the wheel off and found the bottom shock bolt had gone for a walk (i torqued it up so god knows why) the shock had then allowed the subframe to move enough over the bump to ping the spring, and then as the ass of the car hit the ground, royally bent the new shock.

so, que bending the shock straight again and sticking the spring and shock back in so i could go to wales today. a new bolt fitted and i was away.

the car performed perfectly all day and even managed 60mpg at 70mph on the motorway! so it seems i've finally got the turbo setup right.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts