Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i found a old Renault 5 gtl (pre 85) siting by a guy i know's house anyway it has been siting for a long time and i started to look at it because i had no idea what it was after seeing that it was still a solid car with little rust i figured it should be saved and would make a cool project

now the ideas i had so far are lower it a bit ,see if the 3 bolt rims can be changed to something else like a 4x100 hub set up

maybe add a set of diffrent bumpers or something and shave some things like trunk lock to clean up the looks of it

i do not know anything about the motors in Renault cars are they reliable, is there any aftermarket for these motors or is everything got to be custom

i want to kind make a sleeper out of it being such a small car it should respond well to more power as it is so light if i cant make any power with the motor in it i was thinking of pulling it and storing it and putting a turbo diesel vw motor or a vtec Honda motor like a b18c in it

don't know how you will take this project as i can not find any of these cars that are done up but i will read all your comments

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
I dont think it will be an easy job fitting another motor in there as the engines on those was still mounted straight (not transverse).

The 1400 motor with double barrel carb on those where pretty nippy for their size, you also got a model fitted with a garret turbo, i never had the pleasure of driving one though.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi,

Sounds like an interesting project:cool:,i'll keep an eye on this thread over the coming Months,

I can't offer you any advice but anything is possible if you set your mind to it:devil:

I look forward to some pic's and updates?

Cheers Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are you sure it's turbo, when i looked under the hood i did not see anything that looked like a turbo but it did look to be original and other than some leaves from siting it was very clean under the hood, it will need interior work the seats are getting to there end and it will need a bit of cleaning

can some one post up some pics of one of these with out the motor in or any with the front end tore apart so i could get a better idea how the engine and trans Axel is mounted

i alreadt figured on custom mounting brackets and possibly a tube sub frame for mounting the motor the vw motor's mount's in my buddy golf look easy to adapt to a different car as long as theirs a cross member in front of the motor which i could build anyway

the diesel isn't really the most powerful motor out there but they are simple electrically and can move a much heaver jetta easy and the black smoke looks cool

the b18 would give it some serous speed b18c1 has 170 h.p and 128 ft-lbs of torque which would work well and the hondas got limited slip differentials

i am open to other swap ideas if you got some other ideas

one of the bigger things on my mind with this is axles and how to make the Renault stuff work with the Honda or vw stuff

i will post pics of the car soon and update the build as i go it may take some time for the build to get done but i will post updates as i figure out each thing and read your opinions on any thing i am doing

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Your car won't have a turbo,but there was a turbo variant of the early Renault 5.

I think Prickleypear is right,although the 5 was front wheel drive,the engine was in the 'up and down' way rather than transverse,this is going to make an engine conversion very awkward without a lot of fabrication.Maybe a bike engine is the way to go,it will be lighter,smaller and just as powerful as either of the options your considering.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
the turbo 1 you are onabout is the r5 gt turbo and the raider version and they where rather quick but the head g used to blow all the time your best bet would be to try source a r5 gt turbo engine etc and drop it in it:d

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The GT Turbo came with the new shape R5 in 1985 and had the traditional tranverse layout (it was a completely different car to the 'Mk1' Renault 5),the previous Renault 5 had a Gordini Turbo variant.

Oh,and of course the mid engine/rear drive 'pregnant' Renault 5 Turbo was also a Mk1 but that was a different idea altogether.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
lol i forgot all about the Gordini your rite mate must be ma old age kicking in:crazy:

P

·
0 Posts
I had a 74 R5 TL, it had a rather strange layout with the gearbox mounted in front of the engine :crazy: The exhaust went out through the wing with the silencer mounted above the front wheel :crazy::crazy:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well my way of thinking is once all the stock stuff is out of the way i can build a tube frame yo mount my motor and trans set up kinda like the b18 minis but i want to keep as much of the Renault front end as possible but i am not scared to fabricate because brackets for the vw are really simple and i am sure it would be a easy fit

now the Honda motor would be more work but i think it can be made to work

i really don't think there's real chance of picking up another Renault motor much less a turbo one as these cars are really rare around here as not many people ever took care of them and there weren't a lot around here to start with

i have both motors to try and see which works best then i will go what ever fits better and take lots of pic's for you only thing holding me up is lack of space and time as i got 3 projects to wrap up in the next few weeks to make room for this one but i think there is real potential in this little car

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
To be honest I wouldnt attempt a tranverse transplant into that setup.
You will either have to transplant a complete front suspention too, or have the whole setup sit on the front bumper.

I would rather suggest a f2n or f3r Renault engine if you want it to fly, which MAY still fit on the original gearbox, altought you would probably have to cut the fire wall behind the dash and console.

And the turbo model I was refering too was the one with the gordini engine

·
Registered
8 Posts
The original R5 was such an automotive icon and cult car that it seems sad that you want to repower it with someone else's motor.

Why not restore it to original? If you want to make it go fast, there's plenty of stuff available for it, at least in France. See if you can find a tuner near the channel ports or in the Lille region and make a holiday out of transforming it. The factory made all sorts of 'Go Fast' stuff for the car including various performance parts and the French aftermarket served up a lot more. Because the car was so popular in France during it's commercial lifetime you can probably find all the parts available to build a new one from the wheels up although you may need a bodyshell, which you have, to hang them on.

I used to have a 5TS (Mk. 1) and it was a nice little car even if the floorpan did rot out. As the 4, 5 and 6 were all pretty much the same under the skin, I thought about putting the 65 HP 1.4 and 5 speed from the R5 into an R4. My Renault garage told me it would be no trouble to make it work. What stopped me was that I had serious doubts about the brakes, suspension and tires putting up with more than twice the horsepower they were designed for.

Cheers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
the reason the engine and gearbox we reveresed was to transfer the weight towards the back of the car otherwise i think the car has chronic understeer i also think you can fit any c** engine t it
good luck ev

1 - 13 of 13 Posts