Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got this yesterday for the wife and kids to run about in.

One local owner, FSH 93k miles, Full MOT, 6 months tax, cam belt, oil change

£2200 plus a 12 year old micra with 110k on the clock, holes in the sill and floor that have been welded, and an MOT that runs out next month.

so far i have to say i am quite impressed. There are loads of old bills and receipts with the car and only a month ago someone spent £600 on it at the main Renault dealer. Hopefully with the milage it has most of the things to go wrong already have (touches large piece of wood)

Only complaint so far is that the exhaust sounds like it is blowing, although the dealer said it had been fixed for the MOT and also the heater blower does not seem to blow very hard from the centre vents. And there is no key for the roof bars to remove them but the preious owner said they were fitted from new and they did not have a key so i am going to get in touch with the local renault dealer with a view to getting another key.

I have even spoken to the previous owner as their phone number was on one of the bills for some work they had done to the car and they said it had been a fantastic car, which i was pleased with.

Here are a few pics

Attachments

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
That looks pretty good mate and I like the colour, I think a common problem involved regarding Renault exhausts, there are too many sections.
Regards Leroy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks pretty good mate and I like the colour, I think a common problem involved regarding Renault exhausts, there are too many sections.
Regards Leroy
I am going to pop it into a local exhaust place when i get chance, just to get them to get it on the ramps and show me if it is blowing anywhere. It has got a newish rear section.

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Good idea, I had probs with mine on the section from the cat to centre box and manifold, but mine is a Laguna and may be a different layout,
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Looking good Roblatus, Good colour .. yes exhausts can be a problem with Scenics.

Enjoy your car

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pollen filter looks like it has never been changed:(

Did a search on here and leanrt that it could be the reason that the blowers dont seem to blow too hard.

Took it out for now, going to get a new one:)

When you say exhausts are a problem, in what way exactly?

Is is usually a case of a bad joint between different sections?

Not quite sure how it could have passed its MOT if it was blowing, the dealer reckons it is down to the new back section that it has on it not being as good a quality as the original one. Not sure i believe this though.

Just need to check the air filter now but i am not sure how to get the old one out????

·
Registered
79 Posts
Welcome :d

Great car the RXE .... Have one myself, with a few iffy probs at the mo nothing major! Just the price of some Renault parts from a main dealer are out of this world!!:steam:

Searched the liokes of ebay & some dismantlers no joy, so it has to be renault dealer!! Dam blast .....

Speedo clocks are giving false reading, main radio/clock/temp display unit is gone & airhose needs replacing; got a price for parts today € 750 :( :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me how to change the air filter??

I can see the air box but cannot figure out how to get into it to remove the old filter????
:crazy:

Done the pollen filter £11.70 for a new one, easy to fit though so was happy with that.

Just need the exhaut checking, air filter, and a check of the spark plugs

cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too brought a scenic 3 months ago, and am happy with it apart from this knocking noise, but any any way your problem, mine does sound like a blowing exhust ( like one of those daft big pipes idiots put on there car to get peolpes attention) when its cold, but once warmed up its ok, so i wouldnt worry mate, whats the reg of yours.
Think you will enjoy it, try counting all the storage compartments !!!!! Back seats as well !!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I too brought a scenic 3 months ago, and am happy with it apart from this knocking noise, but any any way your problem, mine does sound like a blowing exhust ( like one of those daft big pipes idiots put on there car to get peolpes attention) when its cold, but once warmed up its ok, so i wouldnt worry mate, whats the reg of yours.
Think you will enjoy it, try counting all the storage compartments !!!!! Back seats as well !!
It is an X plate.

What about the air filter???

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, i have done the air filter. What a nightmare job that is.

I could not get the housing to clip back in at the bottom at first. Done now though, old filter was very dirty.

Renault wanted £12 for a filter but i got one from a local motor factors for £6

·
Registered
18 Posts
So Roblatus,
How did you do the airfilter?
We've just bought a W reg RXE 1.6 and less than 24 hours later Ive had to replace the Battery.
Bought two sections of exhaust on the way home from buying it(Middle and Back) as we negotiated the price down from the seller due to the blowing exhaust.
Also where is the pollen filter? as I want to do ours too.
Reckon its a good car but not had the chance to suss it out yet.
Cheers mate.
MattSnap

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So Roblatus,
How did you do the airfilter?
We've just bought a W reg RXE 1.6 and less than 24 hours later Ive had to replace the Battery.
Bought two sections of exhaust on the way home from buying it(Middle and Back) as we negotiated the price down from the seller due to the blowing exhaust.
Also where is the pollen filter? as I want to do ours too.
Reckon its a good car but not had the chance to suss it out yet.
Cheers mate.
MattSnap
The air filter is at the rear of the engine as you look at it. Follow the intake hose to the rectangular box, then behind and slightly left of that. It is a pain to get in but there are two screws to undo then it pivots out to allow you to get access to the filter. Getting it back was a bit tricky but after a bit of cursing it went ok:steam:

The pollen filter is sort of underneath the glove box. There is a screw to remove from the cover which then swings out of the way to allow you to pull the old filter out.

I did a search on here for how to do the pollen filter and found it easy enough to do.

Has my exhaust checked over and it is ok but it just sounds a bit "throaty" sometimes.

Also just done th rear pads as they seemed to be sticking a bit.

Off on a 235mile drive to the south coast tomorrow so hopefully it will perform ok.

Hope you enjoy your Scenic.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the response.
Just sussed the air filter this evening from the handbook.
Old addage, if at first you dont succeed read the manual. :)
Polen filter looks like more trouble ut hey ho.
Enjoy the drive south.
Will try to start enjoying the Scenic 2moro....
MattSnap

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your right cos it surely cant have a Pollen and a Polen filter can it???
Spollchocker eh?
Never was a speed typist, but a bit of a friday night p*** artist.
:p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey M8, No worries.
Its rarely my first language either.
Just having some fun-lighten up.
You are right though I do need to do the air & pollen filters, plus oil filter and fresh oil. Cambelt water pump and Coil packs and sparks to bring it up to date and scratch.
Thanks for the comment.
We think its nice motor too.
Mind you I've already spent £100 with the new exhaust centre & back sections and the Battery and we've had it less than 24 hrs before this expenditure. Good job I have Alfas too and understand about outlaying cash on unreliable cars :)
Good job I can wield the Brummy Spanners (A Hammer & Chisel). :d

1 - 19 of 19 Posts