Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can confirm those inner plastic rack slider bushes, which you hook out with a modified coat hanger can be done on the car, its so tight to do ! ....could i get oem out with hook err nope! so butchered it out with screw driver and pliers ( 1st mistake -) the gap left ain't letting you put a new one back and the pinion went off centre to hole..... much swearing and destroying one new bush. I apply some brain power - other wheel off and track rod end off , lock steering wheel with steering lock on full full lock - i now have a gap to put bush in, but steering rack inner pinion still off centre - take last new bush, get old inner track rod and put bush correct way to how it need to go on the long shaft. knuckle in hand i screw the inner tie rod in the wrong way to rack - I now have a lever to lift and centre inner rack, slide bush along, it's 75% home just tabs need fitting - unscrew inner tie rod and used a screw driver , they pop in like butter.... steering lock off and slowly centre rack , bush stays fitted..... now its just refit all bits with new as needed. I hate Renaults...

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and to order another set of bushes (£5 eBay) as i can now feel play in o/s , I couldn't before as the n/s was so bad, it hid the very slight play on o/s but it's there now and as i have new inner tie rod and outer track rod for that side..... and it will just niggle me until I do it....

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it failed MOT lol but not on steering rack YAY! , 1 anti roll bar link - i have 2 new ones which i bought after last mot as they were advisory's.... and a bottom arm ball join £10.07 from ECP

All in £50 for this years MOT for a 2008 car.

£30 Mot
£5 for Covid clean of keys and steering wheel - I kid you not
£10 for parts
and £5 for 2 coffee's and a bacon roll from burger van across road from MOT Station.
total £50 and aching for a few days after fixing myself...

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
now remember why I left trade, i ache , if it could go wrong it did, but bottom ball joint and drop link done and abs sensor stuck back in with epoxy - like other side lol !!! just a dab so i can remove it if required...

Reactions: LvR

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
36,934 Posts
Pussy

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are more trouble than cars.... lol and more expensive to keep!

• Haha
Reactions: Phil48 and ours2012

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Retested / passed and New MOT in hand, which was lucky as it 'ran' out today....

Reactions: ours2012 and Phil48
1 - 7 of 7 Posts