Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2004 Grand scenic 1.9DCI failed on Nearside Front Position lamp not working (4.2.1 (a))

Anybody shed some light on what this is and how much it would be to fix please before I get blasted by Halfords

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,226 Posts
Sidelamp not working.
Chances are it is a bulb that has failed.
Bit of a pain to swap but well within scope of a DIY job.
Or Halfords will swap for a fee.
Some motor factors would do it for nothing but most are aware that this is no longer a 5 minute job on many cars

Dunno the price.
Put your reg into halfords here and see what their fitting price is, starts from a £5 may well not hold true but the MOT part cannot realistically charge more then their shop part would.
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-bulbs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate. Can't believe over a possible bulb that it fails
Surly they can swap the bulb before continuing with the MOT

·
23,226 Posts
Thanks mate. Can't believe over a possible bulb that it fails
Surly they can swap the bulb before continuing with the MOT
Not allowed to.
Many would, especially if a simple bulb and you didn't mind spending a fiver for a 40p bulb.
But franchises like fast fit places or those who offer MOTs as a loss maker to earn money from repairs will not and don't have to.

I added an edit to my earlier post BTW

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just seen it. Bulbs go from 3.50 to £12. I'm not fussed about that but even a quick call to me wouldn't of killed them. Let's see what they say. Thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also does the car fail straight away or would they do the whole test then fail when it gets to the end.
Only reason I ask is they haven't Rand yet. I saw it on MOT Checker

·
23,226 Posts
Also does the car fail straight away or would they do the whole test then fail when it gets to the end.
Only reason I ask is they haven't Rand yet. I saw it on MOT Checker
Rand ???

Car fails after full MOT for this sort of item.
They will abondon a test if something is unsafe or totally untestable.
Ie if a wheel bearing is shot they will not put it in the rolling road and test brakes.

You will end up with a fail notice which should list all fails, catagory and any advisories. Usual to have brake and emission readings as well.

You then need to fix or get them to.
Many garages do not charge for a partial retest, whether your place does ???
They can charge, the rules allow but would only be a partial test fee as long as presented back within 10 working days.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
They have to complete the test and issue a refusal certificate.
Last time it happened at our garage they didn't even bill for replacing it. This is why we've been going to the same garage for 31 years.
Although they did get the job of replacing the rear discs that year, so probably waived the price of the bulb.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,258 Posts
The reason they wont change you a bulb is very simple..
Unless authorised , what happens if something breaks..
The side light bulb could take a hour to change if nothing comes off..
Been there still got the T-shirt ..

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Just to add, always check all lights before an MOT. If any bulbs don't work, change them yourself beforehand, if you are confident on doing so. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,612 Posts
In addition to above DVLA monitors the failure rate of garages and the local place I use like to issue failures to make their stats at the DVLA look good and then a pass FOC after the repair is completed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts