Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled the car up today and like normal the pump cut out when full, but I thought I would do a mpg check and fill it right up very carefully and as I was watching all them litres going in I didn't notice all them litres coming out. I thought that when the fuel reached the gun nozzle it cut out the pump. Wrong. I must have lost at least 5 litres before oh s**t and pulled it out of the filler. Anyone else done this?

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
No luck Asterix, I think the pump cutoff devices only work if the nozzle is fully inserted in the tank neck and the trigger is fully pulled back fully open, otherwise they dont work, ie if you were dribbling the last bit in to brim the tank.

Oh err, I felt a Frankie Howerd moment coming on there ...

titter ye not , please yourself :d

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well you're never too old to learn lol

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
I had a similar experience today myself. Tank was almost empty, put nozzle in as usual, started to put petrol in and it clicked off after £6. Started putting petrol in again and it basically spat it back out at me :crazy:

I thought there might have been a hole in the pipe as i wasn't sure it was coming from. But after checking and all was in tact, it seems it was coming right back out where i'd been putting it in. This ever happened to anyone else?

I put £11 in the tank, reckon £3 was on the floor and my jeans :eek:

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Reminds me of the first time i pumped petrol into my dad's car. I left the station with a shirt smelling distinctly of petrol :crazy:

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
This ever happened to anyone else?
Usually only happens where there is backpressure from a nearly empty tank, or the nozzle needs some maintenance.

The other time it happens is usually with diesel and it froths up in the tank causing it to vomit diesel all over the forecourt, car and your nice clean dessi-boots ... :(

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Dribbling down your front

I never trust the auto shut-off on fuel pumps because some garages disable it to allow truckers to fill fast. Always take care as petrol is quite caustic to the skin and will cause a chemical burn never mind the posibility of a severe reaction. The tanker drivers don't wear those big long rubber gloves because it makes them cool looking.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
had this happen to me about 13 years ago when i was pootling around in a ford orion, i was 18 at the time so young and stupid.
so i thought i know ill give the car a blast out the back roads and burn off the excess fuel in the filler hose...... LOL wouldnt u know it i got done for speeding.
and when it was time to explain to the coppers why i was going so fast they fell about laughing, i did see the funny side of it myself needless to say it never happened again :rofl:

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Usually only happens where there is backpressure from a nearly empty tank, or the nozzle needs some maintenance.

The other time it happens is usually with diesel and it froths up in the tank causing it to vomit diesel all over the forecourt, car and your nice clean dessi-boots ... :(
Looks like my nearly empty tank caused it then :crazy:

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just stupid me

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Its always an idea to carry a bottle of water & a soft cloth in the boot for washing spilt fuel off the paintwork - aside from it looking messy, it can also eat into the coating.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fortunately the garage is only half a mile away, so I washed the car as soon as I got home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts