Independent Renault Forums banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Before you go rushing out to get one of these, be aware that the Timpson keys work with the immobiliser only, they don't have the button for the central locking. They say they can get the button keys for £80-90 - ouch!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuzefrenchwheels
My question remains unanswered but...

Funny old site this.
Button on the key unlocks the car and /or talks to immobaliser, depending on year and model.
put key into ign and turn to position 1, transponder in key shakes hands with ecu ect.. ect.. car starts.
just a blade will unlock car but not talk to the anti theft systems on the car.
whats the average age on here..
Yup I guess that all makes sense. The key may open the doors but not talk to the immobiliser. When I get the blank i'll have to only use it for my boot.
As to age? - well I'm in my dotage but just returned from five days blistering Sun in the Frejus - south of France so we post war bulge children still know how to party!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pensioners corner!!!!

Likewise, almost retired but not in my dotage and just returned from pretty wet central Portugal where we are doing up a place to finish building the bungalow here. When they are both done, there's the narrowboat to fit out. What's that about overcommitted?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Likewise, almost retired but not in my dotage and just returned from pretty wet central Portugal where we are doing up a place to finish building the bungalow here. When they are both done, there's the narrowboat to fit out. What's that about overcommitted?
Over committed, and in my case over ambitious. Bought an acre plot in the Charente which I'll have to mow, and a house in the area which needs some heavy work. When will I get the time? and since buying, have had a return bout of sciatica which the MRI scans tells me that i'm not going to be doing anything heavy from now on. So, its trying to sell the unfinished Boat (which has been an utter waste of money over the years) and the VFR 750 FJ is up on ebay as its just too heavy for me to dare to ride again. at 486 lb.

I did get a key blank (which this thread is supposed to be about) and whether it is of any use I guess will depend on if it can be matched when cutting, that is if my existing keyfob will fit into the machine without dismantling?

·
Registered
5 Posts
lost key

i have lost keys ..i have ignition number and can get a key cut i can buy fob of ebay but am told gotta get it recoded for my car is this posilble ???

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have lost keys ..i have ignition number and can get a key cut i can buy fob of ebay but am told gotta get it recoded for my car is this posilble ???
A locksmith can cut a key to code, which means he dos'nt need to copy a key, you tell him what model, year and key cut code. He can send it thru the post.
You can buy a fob from e-bay, but alot of keys and remotes are seconds/crap , wrong dimensions (keys) and wrong frequencies (remotes).
You can get the remote to work your doors ect, if
A..the car was ment to have the remote you have
B..your wiring to doors and boot is good
C.. remote is sending out the correct signal (e-bay)

You still need to teach the chip in the key to the car, wont start otherwise.

give me a call and I'll talk you thru it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
car key

thanks for getting back to me ..i have bought a fob or ebay listed as renault megane coupe it will be here in bout a week...i have found a bloke who is cutting me a key from the ignition number i gave him cost £10 should get by end of week be great if i could call you and get instructions on how to recode fob to work my ignition desperate to get car back on road just dont want to pay renault £135 plus agro of getting car to my dealer at the cost of another £75 ..do you think its possible to recode the fob if the fob is in good working order as advertised
cheers kev

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a bit confused by all this key talk! I only have the one key for my Scenic and would like to get another, preferably without the hassle and expense of a Renault dealer. Is it actually possible to get a fully functioning replacement key without going to a dealer? Or is it only possible to get one to operate the central locking and then you have to input the immobiliser code manually?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
copied and pasted from ebay

Please be aware that Key CARDS require dealer attention!

CLIO II, KANGOO & MASTER INFRA RED RESYNCHRONISING
1. Turn Ignition OFF.
2. Press the central door locking buttonin the car for more than 5 seconds.
Note :the door should lock then unlock.
3. When this happens, 10 seconds is allowed for the rest of the procedure and the immobiliser warning light should illuminate – not flash, illuminate.
4. Point the 1st key at the receiver and press the button twice, the doors should then lock and unlock. Repeat this for other remotes as required.
5. Check that the remote control unlocks and locks the doors.
LAGUNA II & SAFRANE II INFRA RED RESYNCHRONISING
1. Turn Ignition OFF.
2. Press the central door locking button for more than 5 seconds.
Note : the door should lock then unlock.
3. When this happens, 15 seconds is allowed for the rest of the procedure and the immobiliser warning light should illuminate – not flash, illuminate.
4. Point the 1st key at the receiver and press the button once, the doors should lock and unlock.
5. Point the 2nd key (if programming a 2nd key) at the receiver and press the button once, the doors should lock and unlock.
6. Check that the remote control unlocks and locks the doors.
CLIO II, KANGOO & MASTER RF RESYNCHRONISING
1. Turn Ignition OFF.
3. When this happens, 10 seconds is allowed for the rest of the procedure and the immobiliser warning light should illuminate – not flash, illuminate.
4. Press the remote control once, the doors should lock and unlock.
5. Repeat for second remote if required.
LAGUNA II & SAFRANE II RF RESYNCHRONISING
1. Turn Ignition OFF.
3. When this happens, 15 seconds is allowed for the rest of the procedure and the immobiliser warning light should illuminate – not flash, illuminate.
4. Press the remote control once, the doors should lock and unlock.
5. Press the 2nd remote control once (if programming a 2nd key), the doors should then lock and unlock.
CLIO RE-SYNCHRONISING
1. Lock car manually
2. Unlock car manually
3. Insert key into ignition within 30 seconds.
4. Turn ignition and start vehicle.
MEGANE RF RESYNCHRONISING
Hold the remote control button down for longer than 10 seconds (until the red telltale light on the key extinguishes) then press it again 3 times.
Check that the doors lock and unlock correctly.
MEGANE WITH EARLY REMOTE (LED SWITCHES OFF WHEN HOLDING
BUTTON DEPRESSED)
1. Ignition ON
2. Press and hold the central locking button for 5 seconds
3. LED on the dash board will go off, come back on and begin to flash. The flashes correspond to the first digit of the 4 PIN security code - release the button when the first digit has been 'flashed' and then press the button again.
4. Wait for the second digit to be 'flashed' then release and re-press the button - continue until all digits have been entered.
5. If you have entered the code correctly the LED will then go out and the car can be started - to code the remote, switch off the ignition and press the central locking button again.
6. Press remote button 2 times within the immediate vicinity of the pick up (in the roof) On some vehicles you may need to switch the ignition back on to achieve this however.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I too need a spare key for my 2001 Scenic, this thread is very confusing :confused:
I phoned Timpsons and they said they don't do keys for my car.
So if i buy a key off ebay how do i get it to unlock the doors and start the car?
Cheers
Jon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just for information for other members, I have just had a spare key for my Clio II cut by Timpsons for £50. They said they could cut spares like this if you can unlock and open a door with your existing key without the alarm going off. If the alarm sounds when you try this, they can't help.

Please note - this key does not have a remote button to operate the central locking - it can only be used to manually unlock a door but it will (and does) start the car. As a spare key only that's fine by me, may not suit everyone but it's a lot cheaper than Renault....

I have no connection to Timpsons - other locksmiths may offer similar services, thanks.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts