Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I really gotta rant just to wind down. Found out yesterday that I had a leaky rear brake cylinder:( . Bloke at the garage quoted me £136 to replace both sides (shoes and cylinders):( . There was no way I could afford this so I went to see my cousin who could get the parts cost price and he would only charge me a couple of pouches of backy for doing it:d .

"Great" I thought. Took it round to him today, changes the shoes and cylinders. Underneath car to manually adjust handbrake and what happens....the bloody rod that goes from the handbrake lever to the adjuster sheared due to metal fatigue:mad: .

Local supplier advised us that this part can only be obtained from Renault Dealership. Rang them up and guess what....cannot buy just the rod, have to buy the whole shebang at a cost of £268:crazy: :steam: . No way I said, scrapyard it is......three scrappy's later and no mk1 Lags:mad: , so got the rod from a mk2.

Of course, we then found out it was different:( .

Cut a long story short, alot of cutting and welding later we eventually did a pretty good botch job and the handbrake is now in working condition:rolleyes: .

Went round to cousins at 11:30 this morning and what should have taken about an hour ended up taking six hours:steam: .

Anyway, rant over. I really needed that..........:yawn:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Thats better,Scatz!.:)

A good rant does everyone good from time to time.:)

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Yep, my cylinders are leaking too apparently, so i'll need to get those done soon. Perhaps i'll just pay to get it done though.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, my cylinders are leaking too apparently, so i'll need to get those done soon. Perhaps i'll just pay to get it done though.
Probably best too, however, my cousin is a fully qualified mechanic and has been in the business for 20+ years. It's just unlucky that the damned rod broke. Having looked at it, it appears that it has never been adjusted or greased since the car was originally purchased eleven years ago (not by me, I've only had it 6 months).

I dare say that if I had taken it to the garage proper the same thing would have happened and I wouldn't have had the choice to do a DIY repair job to fix it.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Just hope it don't fail its MOT for the welded rod. Many Clios go through their life without ever needing to adjust the handbrake linkage adjusted if the rear brakes are properly maintained and correctly adjusted at the drums. MIne Clio is 1994 and the adjustment on the rod has never been moved since new - having said that I slap a bit of grease on it now and again to prevent corrosion.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just hope it don't fail its MOT for the welded rod. Many Clios go through their life without ever needing to adjust the handbrake linkage adjusted if the rear brakes are properly maintained and correctly adjusted at the drums. MIne Clio is 1994 and the adjustment on the rod has never been moved since new - having said that I slap a bit of grease on it now and again to prevent corrosion.
Shouldn't be a problem unless they remove the exhaust heat shield during an MOT as the welding is behind this. Re the greasing, this is exactly what I meant, it hasn't been maintained!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts