Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day Guys,

New member, new to Renaults though I did have many Peugeots in Australia (203,403,404, 504 etc) in the 80's & 90's.

My partner and I are touring Europe and staying with friends in southern France at the moment. They have just bought a new Renault and have kindly donated their Espace II to us to use for a bit of a motoring holiday :D

It needs front struts and upper ball joints. I have ordered the parts from Oscaro and am looking for information on tips/tricks for the replacement.

I look forward to interacting with members and any help/knowledge offered will be gratefully recieved.

Cheers, SB

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Sounds like it's going to be fun! Loads of and help here. Looks like you're no stranger to a spanner so I'm sure you'll be good.

Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave,

Entomologist by trade, but seemed to have had a spanner in my hand from since I could walk. :D

I'm a Moderator on the Honda CBR Forum, so know my way about - bikes and cars and forums, but can't seem to find much info on the Espace II front suspension. I now have the workshop manual and it doesn't look too hard. Replacing the struts and upper ball joints - just wanted to know if any member has tips/tricks for doing it without losing too many digits!

Again thanks for the prompt reply. I'll post up a question in the correct section of the forum shortly.

Cheers, SB

PS: How do we get a custom avatar?

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Hi fella

If it's similar to a Guna II its plain sailing, just need some good strong spring compressors, Allen keys (maybe! to hold piston rod and drop links) some deepish ring spanners to undo top nut on piston-as quite deep on a Guna, and a good bench with vice helps then just normal spanner/sockets other than that nothing.

Regards

John

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice guys.

Looks like a bunch of knowledgeable, helpful gentlefolk inhabit this corner of the internerd, so I'll certainly be asking any questions needed during my neophyte foray into the wonders of the Espace bouncy bits! :D

Cheers, SB

·
Administrator
13,045 Posts
Thanks Dave,

Entomologist by trade, but seemed to have had a spanner in my hand from since I could walk. :D
Entomology is a fascinating subject. I studied it a bit while in uni. What do you work on? If you don't mind me asking. :)

PS: How do we get a custom avatar?
Afraid you have to get a few more post under your belt before you can custom your avatar. Sorry :eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Entomology is a fascinating subject. I studied it a bit while in uni. What do you work on? If you don't mind me asking. :)
Hey Heather,

I worked on Integrated Pest Management in Vines, Citrus, Mangoes and Vegetables throughout southern Australia and the Northern Territory. 2007 started a PhD on Lettuce aphid - but doing it at 'Gentleman's pace' and may never complete it. Too busy having fun touring. Mrs SB and I have just finished a 3 month stint in Vietnam touring on an old Ural & sidecar :D

Afraid you have to get a few more post under your belt before you can custom your avatar. Sorry :eek:
I'm a patient man.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers, SB

·
Super Moderator
13,566 Posts
Welcome, I can't help with the Espace, sorry.
You can have a custom avatar after 25 Posts IIRC.
Off to look up "neophyte" now.

·
Administrator
13,045 Posts
Hey Heather,

I worked on Integrated Pest Management in Vines, Citrus, Mangoes and Vegetables throughout southern Australia and the Northern Territory. 2007 started a PhD on Lettuce aphid - but doing it at 'Gentleman's pace' and may never complete it.
I started a research masters on nematode worms and never got it finished. :crazy: I wasn't happy with the results and ended up not being able to finish the write up. :forehead:
Too busy having fun touring. Mrs SB and I have just finished a 3 month stint in Vietnam touring on an old Ural & sidecar :D
Wow that looks amazing. Would love to go touring somewhere amazing on a bike. Hopefully I will. :) What bike are you on for touring Europe?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow that looks amazing. Would love to go touring somewhere amazing on a bike. Hopefully I will.**What bike are you on for touring Europe'

Unfortunately no bike in Europe and the Ural is stored in Vietnam until our return next year.

Yes, post graduate work can have all sorts of undesirable findings and implications. Already during writeup, the University had embargoed my thesis for a number of years - before it was completed!

C'est la vie...........

Cheers, SB

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it seems the whole French car thing just won't go away!

We got the Espace repaired and had a fantastic camping holiday in the Pyrenees, Andorra and Spain before returning to Oz in November last year. The Espace ran like a dream and all up the repairs cost 113 Euros and half a day of my time. :d

The Espace was parked and I'm back in southern France in July/August this year to give it a run again.

Now the reason for this post - and in the noob section.

It's because I'm back with another rescued Renault - this time in South Australia. A mate had two Renaults - a Clio for his daughter and a 2003 Laguna for his Wife. While helping him do a weeks landscaping at his place in the hills, he offered the Laguna as payment............................

Has the usual Laguna II problems, clunky rear bushes, none-too-smooth gearbox and keycard button issues.

But I like it :driving:

So it'll be photos and questions as from when I get it home to effect the repairs.

Cheers, SB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts