Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice,

We placed an order for a new Renault capture on the launch weekend. Due to covid we never took delivery when we were told. Since the car dealers come back we have had our delivery date put back 4 times.

Now we are told as it’s been stuck in port over 90 days it has to go through some delivery checks to make sure everything is ok before it can be transferred.

Is this normal? I would have thought any checks would be done at the dealers where we ordered (stuff like battery and paint work etc ).

I can’t help but feel I am being messed about. Dealer is now saying it could be another two weeks... his words on the phone last week were “we have a confirmed deliver slot” (should have been today) but told it’s now two weeks extra.

Something doesn’t add up.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,220 Posts
With the Covid situation, you just don't know if it is a convenient excuse or genuine.

Having had some experience of goods in transit and the damage that can occur with protracted time on a ship, I feel that the story of additional checks being needed could be genuine and in fact needed, above and beyond the normal POS checks...condensation damage for instance.
I'm assuming that as it is stuck in a port, it is one that was assembled in Malaysia, would not have thought that European production (Spain) would have been on a ship.

Can only suggest patience and a really good coating of looking at when you collect.

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Hi,

As DD says with the COVID19 anything is possible, and on this occasion they are probably being truthful.

One of my work colleagues is in a similar situation and has already told her dealer that as delivery of her new car (ordered in February) is now going to be after July 1st, they can keep it un reg until Sept.
She told them if they didn't agree she would cancel the order completely & demand refund of her deposit, her dealer has agreed to keep the car when it arrives, un registered until Sept rather than loose the sale.
I don't blame her, who would want to take delivery of a new '20' reg car when the '70' plate is due out probably less than 8 weeks later.

If I was you, (and there is no reason to have the car sooner), I'd tell your dealer you want the registration delayed until
the '70' plate comes out in Sept.
With the sale of new cars being so poor due to the lock down, they will probably agree to almost anything rather than loose a sale.

Al

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,036 Posts
There was an owner on the Captur forum in a similar situation. Do you still want your car? If so, give it a good look over as described above. If not your sales documentation will have a cancellation clause (with full refund) for late delivery.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,588 Posts
if i had a car stuck at a port the sea air would put me off straight away, and would expect rusty discs, exhaust and much more so a no no for me

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THank you all for your advice. I never thought about he new reg in sept. Would that make any difference to resale or value if car?

The car arrived at portbury in March just before covid hit. It’s been there ever since. Don’t know if it’s actuslly on a boat or in some yard somewhere with hundreds of other new cars.

Do you think there is any room to haggle in price as it only has 8 weeks left until car new registration comes out?

Thank you

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,486 Posts
I would think that if you strongly indicated you want to cancel the order that may generate some kind of counter offer. I wouldn't try getting them simply to knock £XX hundred pounds off as unless you are an experienced negotiator they'll compromise with you but only at a much lesser amount than you would like. Keep it clean and simple ... either deal or no deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts