Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey when I bought my 02 clio it only came with one key, I asked at some renault garages and each one said they'll charge £140 for a new key!! Wtf?! Just one key!! Apparently I can't have a normal key cut either because of the immobiliser so I'd be able to open the door but not start the car :/ Is there any cheaper options? Can smaller random garages program them or is this the only option? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I know I can get a door key from a locksmith but I'm not sure if they can make oens to start the car as it needs a chip inside to be programmed to work with the immobiliser? Or can they do that aswell?

R

·
0 Posts
Some lock smiths will have the diagnostic equipment to tell the cars ECU to accept the transponder chip code from the new key though I think you will be paying up to £80 still :eek: They can also delete the codes for old keys as well.

I'm not sure if this some thing you could do yourself if you had a Renault Can Clip diagnostic tool? though a Chinese clone will cost you around £200.

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
Not a Renault I know, but I just got a new key for the wifes Xsara Picasso from a local auto-locksmiths for £95. That cost included the cost of a remote Citroen Key, cut and programmed to the car.
The same chap programmed and cut a new key (that I supplied) to my Mondeo for £30. Much cheaper than the dealer.

The auto-locksmith I used was 3D Group in Nottingham. Im sure there are others around the country that do similar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some lock smiths will have the diagnostic equipment to tell the cars ECU to accept the transponder chip code from the new key though I think you will be paying up to £80 still :eek: They can also delete the codes for old keys as well.

I'm not sure if this some thing you could do yourself if you had a Renault Can Clip diagnostic tool? though a Chinese clone will cost you around £200.
Well £80 is more understandable than £140. Yeah when ever you ask the renault dealers they say there is no other options only they can do it (which is likely a lie from them) I'll have to ask around a few local places then, from herefordshire area, so gonna hope something is near and not much traveling will be involved, thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts