Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Just found this great forum, seems like there is everything to know about clios here!

Anyway, I own a 1.4 (1997) Clio RT and to my knowledge it was a reletively good buy.

The car came with around 40k on the clock and had been in a family before me passed down and so on.

My questions:

1. When doing hard turns 3/4 lock or so.. I can hear almost a squeaking sound from the steering underneath the car, is this normal? and if not how can I fix it / how much will it cost.

2. At the moment my breaks make a chirping sound when ever I am slowing down, I know this is common in many cars but is there any ways to stop it happening?

That's it for now other than those I am happy with my clio!,

Look forward you your help,

Rob

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

The two things might be related,so I'd start by checking the front brake pads.If they look OK,then you need to remove them and put some anti-squeal grease on the backs of the them.I recommend you don't use copper slip grease,but there are special products available for the job.Obviously,if the discs and pads look low,then replace them.

The squeek from the steering could be a front brake problem(which you'll find by doing the above),or it could be a dry driveshaft CV joint or a slack power steering belt.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It's usually a case that the backs of the pad are causing a vibration against the caliper when the brakes are applied.Putting grease on the backs of them will help prevent this.

Discs that are worn thin can also contribute towards this,especially if they have a wear ridge on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts