Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My reverse gear was getting harder and harder to select, so I changed the fluid clutch system (Which had a small leak), for the new type with the top up reservoir, this I thought had cured the problem, but no I still have the same trouble! (It also shudders in first gear – I read on here sometimes a new slave cylinder cures this, but this also is still the same). I thought the new system had failed, so I put a large spacer on the wire behind the clutch lever, just to make sure this was working, which it was! I’ve put the car in all gears with the handbrake on and it stalled every time so I don’t think the clutch plate is slipping. Any Ideas…Cheers

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a little tip on here about the carpets - The clutch pedal dosen't disengage until it's right on the floor, I had aftermarket car mats, the thickness of these was enough to stop the clutch from going all the way down! Cheap Fix - Now that don't happen a lot with Renaults!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's quite interesting, maybe the same's happening with mine. It crunches when changing down into second gear, maybe the clutch isn't disengaging fully?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think that the phase II had this problem - Have you checked the fluid level in the master cylinder?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've not noticed it shuddering in reverse, but to tell the truth my drive way is on quite a slope so I normally give it a few more revs to get it on there, Whats you're thinking behind this?

·
Registered
96 Posts
hi my reason was, i had similar problems .then it started juddering in reverse and then it blew a bearing from the gearbox into the bell housing.hopefully yours is just a clutch problem(worn or contaminated)

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I havn't checked the fluid level, where would I find the place to fill up?
if there is a reservoir, it should be behind the steering wheel under the top of the dash.:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it went as good as gold all day long - went to reverse into the drive and i couldn't get reverse!! Looks like a new clutch after all - anyone got any idea of the price - Non main dealers only :) Cheers

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oh right, sorry about that:eek: . Maybe you could supply the clutch kit if it's cheaper? It looks like I'll be changing mine soon too, not looking forward to that:confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I've been to Mr Clutch to have a new one fitted, they told me the clutch was fine and I didn't need a new one! They took it for a road test and could find no fault, so this is what's happening now - When you first drive it, it's ok - after a couple of hours the clutch starts to get a bit notchy and you can only change gear when the pedals on the floor it gradually get worse the longer you use it, give it a couple of hours rest and it's ok again. Now the new bit, out of the blue the display gives three beeps and then it shows the word stop, sometimes this will clear - other times it will carry on. Any ideas - this is the second Espace I've had and it will be the last Renault I will ever own, I'm getting to the stage where me and a big hammer might make a nice bit of modern art out of it!!! :devil:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts