Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought new driveshafts from euro parts for Renault trafic T1000 1986 model. Lined up holes on gearbox end to get pin in. No way can I get pin in. It just jams then I have to take pin out. Done this several times and same thing happens. Can any one help. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,117 Posts
I'm not sure what pin you mean but if you have a shaft and a pin and the pin will not go through, either hole is too small or holes do not line up.
Compare old drive shaft to new and check hole size and position.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what pin you mean but if you have a shaft and a pin and the pin will not go through, either hole is too small or holes do not line up.
Compare old drive shaft to new and check hole size and position.
[/QUOTE
I've taken shaft out several times and checked the alignment. There are 2 holes one where there's splines that come out of gearbox and a hole on driveshaft. I've also put a drift right through the holes and it comes out the other side. I don't get it!!

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,906 Posts
Is it the same if you turn driveshaft about 180 degrees
Are the holes straight through, or offset as it holds the driveshaft to the gearbox shafts
Have you tried using a drill bit, Just to see, without trying to put the pin in,
Is there a master spline on these, ( Years since I did a clutch on one,)

Are you locating pins slightly damaged, where you have knocked them through

( Same type of pins used on Door hinges Pete )

·
37,906 Posts
I had a pair of mole grips I welded a stud on 1 end and a thin nut the other ( Think it was 3 mm stud )
Just gave me enough room to force the pin in slightly, so as not to damage it trying to knock it all the way through ( Having cold shivers here just thinking about these bloody vans ) then I could knock it out with a punch Just no room between driveshaft and gearbox one side

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it the same if you turn driveshaft about 180 degrees
Are the holes straight through, or offset as it holds the driveshaft to the gearbox shafts
Have you tried using a drill bit, Just to see, without trying to put the pin in,
Is there a master spline on these, ( Years since I did a clutch on one,)

Are you locating pins slightly damaged, where you have knocked them through

( Same type of pins used on Door hinges Pete )
The holes are are opposite each other. If it comes to it I might leave them out as when driveshaft is torqued up it can't go nowhere. Modern driveshafts don't have a pin in them anyway.

·
37,906 Posts
Its not a floating Drive Shaft, AS you go around a corner, they will move out , and as you straighten back up, they will move in, you will screw your gearbox up
These have to be fixed, if they move they will rip either the teeth off the driveshaft, or even worse, the teeth off the gearbox shafts.
But they will rip,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not a floating Drive Shaft, AS you go around a corner, they will move out , and as you straighten back up, they will move in, you will screw your gearbox up
These have to be fixed, if they move they will rip either the teeth off the driveshaft, or even worse, the teeth off the gearbox shafts.
But they will rip,
Cheers for that. I didn't know that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But they will rip,
What's a floating driveshaft. Never heard of that. Thanks.

·
37,906 Posts
Normal gearboxes and drive shafts have a ring inside to stop them moving, but they do move in, ever so slightly and when they move out, the ring stops them, same as the other part that fastens into the CV joint, , but the design has compensated for this.
Now yours, does not have this, yours are fixed, and all the drive shaft at the hub does all the wobbling . But if you put the steering on lock, and turned the wheel you would see it move out without the dowel in.

( Thats why the Old system lasted longer, not like these crappy CV Joints we get today , they are even willing to offer a 12 month warranty, so brave )

·
Registered
225 Posts
Check the pin(s) they can have 2 pins , one inside the other , also check if you have the correct driveshafts , check the number of splines at hub end of shaft - earlier up to 1988 has 23 , later 1989 onwards 25 , ( most of the shafts that are available are of the later 25 ones ).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check the pin(s) they can have 2 pins , one inside the other , also check if you have the correct driveshafts , check the number of splines at hub end of shaft - earlier up to 1988 has 23 , later 1989 onwards 25 , ( most of the shafts that are available are of the later 25 ones ). View attachment 191570
Hopefully sorted it. Manufacturing fault. Getting another driveshaft replacement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts