Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a 51 Plate 1.5 DCI Clio, a few weeks ago i had new glow plugs fitted, But since then the fault light has been on, and she's a ***** to start, it takes about four turns of the key to get her to fire up, the light wont go out.

Any idea's what the problem could be, i have her in the garage at home now with the bonnet open and all seems fine. I took it back today to the guy who fitted the plugs and the mechanic couldn't pick up anything on the computer.

Im a bit lost.

D

·
0 Posts
It amazes me how some 'mechanics' give up when the computer says there is nothing wrong.

First, check for a 12v feed to the glow plugs. They are probably all joined together in serial, so pick one, stick a multimeter across it and an earth, and get someone to flick the key on.
A) see if you get a 12v reading, and B) time how long for.
If you get nothing, then it's either the coolant temp sender (possibly on newer stuff, dunno if renault have got that advanced) or the glowplug timer control relay (older stuff)
Obviously check fuses and wiring too before you start!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It amazes me how some 'mechanics' give up when the computer says there is nothing wrong.

First, check for a 12v feed to the glow plugs. They are probably all joined together in serial, so pick one, stick a multimeter across it and an earth, and get someone to flick the key on.
A) see if you get a 12v reading, and B) time how long for.
If you get nothing, then it's either the coolant temp sender (possibly on newer stuff, dunno if renault have got that advanced) or the glowplug timer control relay (older stuff)
Obviously check fuses and wiring too before you start!
Hi Dan, I've taken each one out and all have a 10.70 reading, god knows if that correct???

Can you direct me to the glowplug timer control relay ??

Cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i've hunted and hunted the forums, and found a little beauty from Mat Black, the Glow plug heater relay, it seems he answered a question to someone else in 2010, basically the same problem i have.

But here is the problem, where the heck is the Glow plug heater relay, and how do you test a relay?

D

·
0 Posts
Taken them out? Need to test them still fitted!
I'm guessing you have done a resistance test?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taken them out? Need to test them still fitted!
I'm guessing you have done a resistance test?
See Dan, this is why im only good at doing Scenic windows lol.

I disconnected each plug cap in turn and put the meter end up inside and one onto the earth, just to see if there was a current flowing. Guess this is completely wrong??? I haven't taken the plugs out, but they are brand new.

The relay is just something i read on here and wondering where they are, and how they are tested.

I knew i should have just stuck at rebuilding my sprint lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts