Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Have just become the proud owner of a nice shiny Megane I coupe from 2000.

Drives like a dream, and just has a couple of small problems: rear wiper not working, and a little rough on idle.

Always, whenever I buy a used car I take it to a main dealer for an initial service (and then use independent garages thereafter). I find this the best way to quickly discover any major issues with my new purchase.

So I'm booked in for full service and 25-point safety check with Renault Airside (Dublin) tomorrow, fingers crossed!

It's a lovely car though, and feels very solid on the road.

C635

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So generally speaking everything was good - a couple of bulbs, an engine-mount and the front brakes will need doing (but not for about another 4000 miles).

I'm also getting timing belt replaced, as I have no knowledge of when, if ever, this was done by previous owners. Garage says water pump looks ancient, so probably not recent anyway.

They haven't fixed my rear wiper, they say the cause could be "any one of a number of things". I'm kind of dissapointed in that, I expected them to at least try to find out what the problem is!

All in all, not a bad buy.

C635

R

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Renault Forums :)

Yes a god idea to get the timing belt replaced if you don't know it's history.

The rear wiper fault might be relativley simple to fix? the difficult bit will be finding the source of the problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi, would be interested to know the cost of getting the timing belt replaced.

I'm intending on getting mine done in Dublin soon.
Megane Scenic 1.4

Thanks and best of luck with the car, hope it's a cracker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Timing Belt & Water Pump came to €550 in total.

The full service was €179 at Renault Airside.

Just did a 500 mile round trip in the car over the weekend, and running very well.

Lack of rear wiper an irritation though.

C635

·
Administrator
13,224 Posts
Glad to here the car is running well especially on a 500 mile trip... thats one way of breaking it in!! :d ha ha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts