Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I'm new to this forum, has taken me an hour to figure out how to post a new message, not sure if I have it right now!

I have a 2002 Renault Scenic DCI, it's a great car, and is the 3rd Scenic we've had, though it's the 1st Diesel.

I have just returned from holiday (1200 mile round trip), and upon entering our home city (Norwich), I heard a vibrating sound. I just put it down to the plastic engine cover, as it disappears above about 1250 rpm. Fiddled about with it this morning, but it's still there! It seems to be coming from the Drivebelt side of the engine, and can only be described as a very loud vibration when the engine is idling. I have taken the engine cover off, and the timing belt cover off (well the front part) and it's still as loud as ever.

I have read on the forum, and others have described similiar, which they say may be the Alternator Tensioner Pulley and/or Cambelt Pulley. It really sounds as though that's where the noise is at it's loudest! I was beginning to wonder if it was the Diesel Pump packing up? It's done just on 90k, and has had a new Cambelt at 72k.

Above idle it drives absolutely normally, with no loss of power or economy (giving 50+ mpg), and no smoke, it's not using water or oil either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm tearing my hair out and not sure whether to drive it or not??

The only other info I can add is, I had noticed on holiday to my complete disbelief, that it seemed to 'Pink', and just dismissed it as I'd never heard it before. I can't explain, but 3/4 days prior to this vibration/rattle, it just sounded different, as though either it was pinking, or somebody had removed some soundproofing from the bulkhead, really peculiar.

Thanks for reading this, and I look forward to any advice you can offer.

Paul

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Palisbro.

I'm sure a Member with more technical knowledge than myself will be able to assist with your post shortly.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Hi All.

I'm new to this forum, has taken me an hour to figure out how to post a new message, not sure if I have it right now!
Spot on Palisbro...and a very informative first post.

I have moved this thread to the "engines" forum for more detailed advice.

BTW...Welcome to the forums:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Excellent first post.:)

I suspect that the auxillary belt tensioner spring is getting weak and is bouncing against the belt,either that or the bottom pulley is beginning to break up.

Can you see a pulley vibrating against the belt?If so,the tensioner is U/S,or the belt has stretched.

EDIT:Actually,make sure the bottom crank pulley bolt is still tight!.If this fails,all hell could break loose!

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Or it could be the Alternator freewheeling clutch mechanism siezed that is causing the accesory belt to jump about..

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Mr.Web Sir,your my hero!:)

Either way,it's not a good situation!.The belt could be thrown off the pulleys,and go into the cambelt.......this is definately not a good thing!:eek:

We would advise you that you get it looked at ASAP!

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Absolutely agree with lagdti..

Please get it looked at ASAP..!!

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Hello Palisbro,

The wife has one of these, it was making a very similar noise to the one you have described( a jarring clattering noise at idle from around the alternator area).

I popped down to the factors and got a new accessory drive belt, its quite easy to change once you make a little tool to hold the tensioner back- I used a socket rail with an extra hole drilled in it.

Belt been on for about 400 miles now, no more noise. as Lagdti mentioned my drive belt was very worn and I think the tensioner was at full extent and bouncing around.

hope you get it sorted..

Murchin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, I'm not sure whether or not the tensioners were replaced, it was done at Renault, but in my experience of other Main Dealers - who I will not mention - that doesn't mean anything!

Thanks for your reply, I will check it out when we get that far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi All, sorry to be an idiot. I thought it was possible to reply to each message individually?? Can't see how.

Thanks for all your good advice, it's really appreciated. You all seem to say a similiar thing, Drivebelt or Cambelt rather than Pump, which is good news.

The car is stood in my garage now, and will not move or start until I have sorted it! As I know what happens when Cambelt's break, especially on Diesels!

I have noticed that the Auxiliary Drivebelt seems to move around quite a lot, not side to side, but backwards and forwards if that makes sense?? It does look as though the tensioner is extended to the max, but my obvious concern is checking the bottom pulley and cambelt and tensioners too, in order to make sure I don't miss anything!

As soon as I find it, I'll let you know, but it's been a great help hearing you confirm some of the things I was thinking about.

Thanks again all.

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi mine is doing exactly the same.
Have you had yours fixed yet?
Mine going in on thursday hopefully.

Let me know the outcome of yours please.
Regards Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all. Just an update to let you know where I'm at, and a reply to Dave who has the same problem.

I removed the Serpentine Belt and ran the engine without it on (only recommended for a very short period), and of course the noise had disappeared completely, which was great news. I was relieved to know that the Diesel Pump was working fine, and not on it's way out.

I then checked every pulley, paying careful attention to the Alternator pulley, which is where the noise seemed to be coming from. I noticed when I took the belt tensioner off, it was not at maximum tension, and as my belt had done about 20k, I wondered if this was the problem. Apart from the tensioner below the Air Con pump being a bit noisy, everything else seemed fine? It was a complete mystery.

I therefore put it all back together again, to try and re-create the noise, not sure whether or not I had the top tensioner in exactly the same place as before. As I started it up, the noise appeared again for 2 seconds, then disappeared and has not been heard since?! I have put a little bit more tension on the belt, and so far it seems absolutely fine!

So thanks to all of you for your advice, it's certainly all been worthwhile reading, and I only hope this thread will be of use to somebody else who is in the same predicament.

So in a nutshell - so far (fingers crossed) it seemed the belt had stretched and did not have enough tension on it! I can't believe it could be that simple, and have created such a horrendous noise, but it seems to be the case so far.

Let me know how you get on Dave, I'd be interested to know if you end up in the same position?

If it reoccurs, I'll be back searching for answers again.

Thanks again.

Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mas59

Hi all, my scenic has just developed the same fault and I took it to my local garage where I have it serviced and the mechanic carried out all of the above checks, he then noticed that the main drive pulley wasnt inline and at a slight angle at which time the belts stopped moving. Engine turned of in a rush, going to be stripped down later today hopefully everything will be ok and just needs a new pulley

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
Had exactly the same problem. Changed the belt and no difference. I then bought a kit from Renault which included 3 new pulley wheels (including alternator) a pre tensioner and auxilliary drive belt. Total cost was £105. This is the cheapeat option as Renault charge £103 just for the pre tensioner which was originally going to be my next move.

A local garage charged me £25 for fitting the parts and the problem has now been solved.

Hope this helps.
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like the fault i had on my Laguna 2.2dci which turned out to be the crankshaft pulley. the rubber in the pulley had disintegrated causing the pulley to vibrate, rubbing up against the engine and the drive belt to jump half off the pulley towards the engine again rubbing on the engine and causing a white smoke.
changed the pulley at a cost of £136.89 and the belt at £20.21, all is now fine, engine start up and shut down seem quieter and smoother too, i don't get a metallic grinding now when i switch the climate control on.
i think it's a bit of a stupid and money making design. it's my first renault and probably my last. come back vectra all is forgiven.

when i went to renault they didn't have any in stock but another local one did so off i went it took an hour to get there but by the time i got there they had fiitted it to another car. sounds like a common problem to me which renault refuse to modify the design. thanks renault for your ignorance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, Mine is a 1.6 2001 Petrol. This same thing happened this Saturday. Only from cold and disapears around 1450 RPM. Drive belt area, loud rattling 'tinny' sound, cannot believe this is alternator, aircon, or tensioner, as sounds too 'light weight'. Will check around area tomorrow, and if anything is rattling against the exhaust, as it could be resonating. Sound is definately lower down than the alternator. Seen some posts, but no solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I had the same problem a while ago, my drivebelt snapped... (luckily at low speed and I had just pulled into a filling station) the garage I went to replaced the tensioner pulley and the drive belt, and ever since there has been this weird rattle around that area - or maybe lower... any suggestions? After reading all these posts and others, I am really worried. as my garage said the rattle was a loose cover:eek: and we have been chugging along thinking that:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: any ideas?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts