Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi chaps and chap esses...

new member here, my first ever renault , namely a 1.9 dci dynamique 2001... yes yes the one which you only have to look at to break it....

someones been doing alot of looking :fight:

well i bought the car with 3 months tax and mot for £200... yeah i havent missed a digit out... two hundred quid! because the turbo had blown and the owner of it was... well an idiot.. so i got it for pence.

Drove it home whilst covering half of leicestershire in oily smoke and proceeded to buy a recon turbo from euro car parts - (£320)... fitting took less than 2 hours (i dont understand how some mechanics think it should take a whole day!!!) and only involved around 8 or 9 bolts! There was no point in changing the intercoolor or catalytic convertor as after a quick warm up in the garage a good thrash down the dual carriageway cleared it all out. Anyway i've now covered over 10,000 miles in it over the past few months and its been absolutely perfect :) so far the average mpg has been 47-52 over the whole tank, on the motorway typically i can be getting around 62-65!!!!!!! im totally converted to dieseldom!

also already changed the rear coil springs, fitted a towbar and motorbike carrier on the back (its carried 180 kilos on it with no issue.. which is slightly over its nose weight i know!)

Had a minor issue on the way to pick up some new wheels for it the other day, i could smell burning and assumed it was the smokey old truck in front of me. 10 miles later with no truck in site... oh crap its me! ... bloody heater control module was on fire wasnt it! Managed to strip that out last night (what a ballache!!) and i have ordered a new one.

Only little niggle i have now is... tyre pressue monitors, i need to remove them from the existing scuffed wheels and put them onto some new mint ones... but i dont want them to mess up and get shafted by renault for a reset as my local dealer is utterly useless.

anyways... nice to meet you all. No doubt you will see me around here... usually trying fix something on the damn thing. I need to read up about getting it chipped as it needs some more poke but i dont want some dodgy peice of rubbish for £100 off ebay which looks like nothing more than a rheostat.. so i want a proper job doing :)

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Hello & welcome to the forum vilguy :)

Thats one hell of a first post :d

Congratz on your 200 quid + repair cost car.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Mechanics usually take the best part of a day because they remove or replace the intercooler.
It is recommended the intercooler and its plumbing be cleaned out.
A dirty oily intercooler will affect performance and the EGR valve.:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello & welcome to the forum vilguy :)

Thats one hell of a first post :d
im a forum whore :devil:

:d

Yeah really i should have cleaned the intercooler but it will self cleanse (well enough) after a while. It did kick some smoke out for a good few hundred miles but after a week or so it was right as rain :) and im bollaxed if i could be bothered to remove the intercooler after ripping off the skin on me knuckles changing the turbo :crazy:

i think that the hardest part of getting the new turbo on was getting that sodding oil return pipe in the whole... good god was a bugger that was! I'd never cursed so much in all my life (which is alot!)

Still if it saved me 500 or so notes then im all for it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mechanics usually take the best part of a day because they want to pretend to have removed or replaced the intercooler. The robbing lazy good for nothing *%%&%
It is recommended by their boss that you be cleaned out.
:)
I agree entirely on that comment :eek:

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Hello and welcome :)

Regarding tuning, we have a site sponsor GCLTuning who may be able to answer any queries you have with regards to a remap :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts