Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm thinking of buying an Espace (2002) 2.2Dci version and was wondering what the consensus of opinion was on how good or bad these are.

I have a feeling this will be a heart rules head decision as I am attracted to the looks of the thing.

Various reviews i have read vary from great to awfull with little in between.

Am I mad or do I just need to be extremely carefull when inspecting the car.

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It goes without saying be careful when inspecting, check services have been done etc. Cambelts due at 72k / 5yrs. Ensure oil changed regulary.
Also remember most people post problems on forums, this does not represent the true proportion of owners and the experiences. It always seems worse when you read forums.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
hi, welcome,

i have a 2001 espace 2.2 dci.

overall very good.

make sure you get a cd changer it lives in the boot area behind a side panel, previous owners sometimes take these out, also there is a big TV type remote control for the stereo make sure thats there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your quick responses.

I think my minds (or should I say heart) is already made up and I'm just going to go for it.
I will check on the last cambelt change and remote control.

As soon as I complete the deal I will of course keep you all posted.
Many thanks again.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
please do.
check clutch pedal feels ok.
and check for wet around heater matrix either side near your feet.
good luck.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well almost completed the deal.

After following tips from everyone on this forum (many thanks) I had a good look round my potential new member of the family.

Model: 2002 Espace 2.2Dci Pivelidge 100k.
Full Dealer service History (not sure if thats good or bad).
After half an hour poking and prodding round her (the car that is) I found the following.

Clutch=Seems excellent, smooth and a nice bite point.

EGR Valve=Seems to have new pipe type.

Engine=No visible signs of oil leaks.

Heater= Carpets all dry and no strange smells or evidence of dampness.

remote Control/CD boot multichanger unit=In situe and working fantastic.

Theres lots more but I wont bore you with the good points.

Now the potential problems ahead for me:

Air Bag Warning Light= Not illuminating on turning key to pre ignition position, negotiated a discount because of this after explaining how the air bags could be useless if they have been disconnected.

Air Con=Needs a regas (hopefully just that) and is a condition of sale that its fully functional before completing the deal.

I said earlier this was a heart over head decision as I have already fallen in Love with the car but hopefully being a member here will help if or should I say when any problems arise.

I'm sure the car salesman thought I was a car inspector the amount of time I spent checking all the switches and with my head in the engine bay pretending I knew what I was looking at.

Thanks again guys and I will keep a running report on how the car performs and not just the bad stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car now collected and after a 15 Mile drive home first impressions are great.
Engine very responsive (for an mpv anyway), ride quality fantastic, gear box smooth as silk. Not to mention the sheer joy of having a great sound system and comfortable seats.

We owned a galaxy for 6 years and I must say the espace seems a lot bigger and although not as car like in driving as the galaxy I certainley prefer it.

Just need to get it booked in for a full service now for my own piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
many congrats on getting your car, hope it lives up to all your expectations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts