Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Having paid a deposit on a Renault Vel Satis yesterday and finding this site today, thought I should join and hopefully gain some valuable information about this weired and wonderful french vehicle.

Most comments seem to indicate this car will cost me a small fortune in the long run (so might have made a wrong move in buying one)

I collect the car next friday, it is a 2.2DCI previlage on a 2002 plate, well it has an Irish plate actually but a 2002 model.

It has full service history, covered just over 50K and will have a full service & cambelt change prior to collection. I am also getting a major parts warrenty for 12 months. 6 months free and 6 months for which I have to pay. I have been told this is an unlimited mileage warrenty but have yet to see the full policy contents.

Everything Ive tried seems to work, cruise etc fine, starts & runs well and is an absolute dream to drive.

Have not been able to try auto wipers & lights as I didnt know these existing until reading about them on this site.

I have also read that the life of the tyres are limited to about 12K per set, a little worrying as I hope to cover 25K in the next twelve months and that injectors have a habit of failing reguarly.

Is there anything else I should really check prior to parting with more than just my deposit.

Any feedback would be greatfully received.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Welcome to the forums Mikec3.
Please feel free to join in where and when you can and enjoy the community we have built up here.
By and large our members are a friendly bunch and quite knowledgable too.

The open forums are free for all but please take the time to consider becoming a subsribed member with all the extras that entails.
For just £1.50 month/ £12 year you get....
Access to the Arcade and the many games within.
The ability to use the forum PM system
A lovely red "supporter" badge under your name.
Club offers...recoup your subsciption fee easily with supporter only offers.
Signatures..Add your own signature to your posts.
Avatars..Use our standard Avatars or use your own.
Gallery...Post your pics

Also please remember that these forums tend to be used more by members with problems, rarely does anyone post "cars great , no problems, thanks" thus you can get a skewed view of a cars reliability at times. But should you develop problems thats where the combined expertese on the forums can be a great help (and money saver)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & welcome to the Forums Mikec3.

I'm sure all will be well, I would look to purchasing an alternative after market warranty, Some of the parts costs are horrendous & the Labour costs to fit a fairly simple part due to the complexity of construction can be bankrupting.

This is common to all modern cars I would not own a modern car without an extremely comprehensive warranty.

Enjoy your Vel Satis, you are one of a very few motorists in Britain to do so.

Click on the link I have posted below for futher Vel Satis owners

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/other-models/18766-vel-satis-club-all-things-vel.html?highlight=things+Vel+Satis

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
You'll get more than 12,000 miles from your tyres. My first set lasted almost 19,000 miles - second set (same as originals - Michelin Primacy) lasted 23,000 miles. I'm now on the new style Primacy. Make sure you get extra load tyres when you do change - and check it's got extra load tyres on now (101 load rating). Also double check the mileage - the trip computers occaisionally decide to go metric for no good reason - it needs a complete new panel which is put in at zero miles. Oh, and check the clutch pedal returns quickly and doesn't 'stick' down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many Thanks

Thanks so much for your help, not sure what tyres are fitted at present but I will check prior to coolection, clutch peddle seems O.K. but I have read about the recall for these, assume dash readout is O.K. it does correspond with the service book.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts