Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone

Just found and joined this forum, hopefully someone will be able to help me.

I have recently moved to Italy and finally managed to buy a car here, what a difference from buying cheap cars in UK. It costs 500 euros just to change the registration document into new name !.

Anyway, I am now the proud owner of a 1997 1149cc clio ice. Only done 28000 kilometers.
the engine is an 8 valve d7f model.

I have two questions to start with :

I have bought it from an Italian garage who have said that they have changed the cam belt ( cinghia distribuzione ) and given me a copy of the garage receipt. How can I check they have actually done this, on this model engine there is no plastic cover to remove, only a small black bung in metal casing but i can only see the cam wheel. Am I right in thinking that to inspect the belt you have to move engine mounts and loads of stuff just to inspect it. they have changed air con belt but i want to check they have changed the cam belt and not just assuming that as my Italian is very bad they can fob me off with a copy receipt.

Any help much appreciated.

Q number two. Can someone explain how to drain ,flush and refill cooling system on this model please.

Am in process of trying to buy 2nd hand haynes manual for the car but will take a bit longer to get hold of one here so for now all help much appreciated.

Steve

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there Steve, and welcome to the forums.

I haven't any experience with Clios, but there is a very good Forum section specifically for Clios which should be of some use to you.

Failing that, someone will give you the necessary data, I'm sure.

Paul:)

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
welcome to the forum Stuart. for the coolanr procede as follows.

remove expansion botttle cap
disconnect and remove bottom rad hose
disconnect top rad hose and insert hose pipe into stub , flush until clear water runs from bottom of rad. (reverse flush if contaminated~)
To flush the engine block remove the thermostat and insert hose, run until clear water appears from bottom hose.
refit thermostat and all hoses.
Open bleed screws, on the D type there is one on the heater hose near the engine bulkhead
add water and antifreeze mix into expansion tank, and close each bleed screw as bubble free mixture appears from it.
add coolant until max level in tank.
run engine at 1500rpm for 4 mins topping up fluid as needed.
refir pressure cap to expansion tank and run engine at 1500rpm for about 10mins until the rad fan kicks in.
Allow engine to cool and check level in tank refill if needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for info so far

Thanks Chris M for info on cooling system change, all I have to do now is find some kind local who will let me use their hose in garden, I'm currently stuck living in rented flat.

I will try cam belt question in Clio area.

Thanks also for other welcomes

steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts