Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
For anyone that is interested in Renault cars and other products including Planes, Trucks, Tractors Etc.

A new club has just started up by the name of

{EDITED BY OG}
http://www.renaultownersclubinternational.com/index.html
The point of the club is to cater for everyone with an interest from the distant past to the future. So pop along and see if it's for you. As the name implies it is international, but based in Britain.

O

·
0 Posts
WRONG!!!! This is not a commercial venture!

Here you will find a Discussion Forum, Classified Advertising and much more. Membership is free for an initial period so get on board and help us grow

[FONT=arial,sans serif]Completing the application form doesn't commit you to paying anything but helps us gauge the level of support[/FONT]​
Really, sounds like it to me!! Membership is free for an initial period sugests that there will be charges later!

·
Registered
61 Posts
How Wrong Can You Be?

As mr.ed pointed out this new club is in no way a commercial venture. By OG reckoning every motor club is a commercial venture. Most clubs have a subscription to cover the costs of magazines etc, and no profit is made. Some commercial venture. A commercial venture is when you make a profit and share those profits with others.
So we should see no links within this forum as they will all be classified as a commercial venture.

I am putting the link back on as I and the rest of the world would not agree with your very strange findings.

[re editied by admin]

And a last thought why are there links else for business's that are selling cars etc for a profit?

S

·
0 Posts
Whether you agree with OG's feelings on the matter or not, please do not persist in adding the link for the moment. Rules were drawn up over Christmas which we hoped we would not have to use. Due to this and other threads they will be invoked ASAP. This will mean everyone will know what is and is not allowed on the forum

Thank you

PS. Moving to feedback forum

O

·
0 Posts
As mr.ed pointed out this new club is in no way a commercial venture. By OG reckoning every motor club is a commercial venture. Most clubs have a subscription to cover the costs of magazines etc, and no profit is made. Some commercial venture. A commercial venture is when you make a profit and share those profits with others.
So we should see no links within this forum as they will all be classified as a commercial venture.

I am putting the link back on as I and the rest of the world would not agree with your very strange findings.

[re editied by admin]

And a last thought why are there links else for business's that are selling cars etc for a profit?
At the end of the day you are trying to promote a venture which, whether you want to class it as a business venture or not is in competition with this site which we have spent a lot of time and money promoting.

We aren't currently funded by subscription, we are funded by ME - if you want to promote your club which contains a forum and is therefore at the end of the day in competition with this site then you can pay - afterall you are going to charge your members so why shouldn't I charge you to promote it.

Do you think Heinz would advertise HP sauce on it's sauce bottles for free - get real!

Had you had the decency to ask first I may have allowed it. If you don't like my decision that's fine but please don't post the link again - if you do myself or a mod will ban you - take it or leave it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think the ROCI members will be any worse off without the link. They have links going back over 40 years. It should also be noted that the ROCI has not even been running for a full week yet, and most members so far are ex ROC.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I don`t know what forum ren25 and mr ed are promoting but they say it`s free now and maybe a charge later, but isn`t there a poll about charging for this forum (which seems to be a forgone conclusion, it`s just the amount which is in doubt).

S

·
0 Posts
It is NOT a forgone conclusion. No decisions have been made about subscriptions for RF. Whatever route we take, membership will likely remain free - subscription will be used to enhance your membership with PM etc. This means that you will probably be able to continue to use the forum without there being a charge

The point is that this is another example of members taking me and OG for granted. We have spent thousands to build up the member base and we simply will not allow people to simply attempt to piggy back of our success without seeking permission to add their link

If ROC has 40 year's worth of members queing to join up, that's great - a link from RF will probably be the last thing that is required...

We don't have many rules, but rules about where and how you can promote rival enterprises (whether for profit or not) will certainly be covered in the new set which need typing up, agreeing and publishing

·
Registered
15 Posts

[re editied by admin]

ADMIN when you "editied" the above post why could you not answer the question?:confused:

Why are there links else for business's that are selling cars etc for a profit?

Seems like a perfectly reasonable question to me.

S

·
0 Posts
I have already answered all the points raised in this thread. Links to businesses or individuals selling cars and parts etc. for profit do not impact on this forum and may provide a benefit to our members. The issue of adding links to sites which are, in a way, competing with this forum is a very sensitive issue and common sense dictates that permission should be sought before proceeding

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Renault messageboards are like buses. You wait for ages and then three come along at once :crazy:

Seriously though. I spent years looking for a decent Renault board since getting my first Laguna in 1995. Okay, there are a few devoted to specific models and niches, but nothing that welcomed bog-standard Laguna owners. Well there was always Katriina's site, but the forums were never exactly buzzing with activity.

That changed when RF turned up a couple of years ago. It seems that now this forum has proved to be a success, other generic Renault boards are springing up left, right and centre.

Or maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough.

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
I guess I'm one of the earlier members of this site. I have tried to stay out of this thread but can no longer do so.
A bit of background for the newer members;

Selwonk and OG started RenaultForums, and have continued to maintain it, with their own money. The site is not making a profit and they are trying to keep it free for membership. The put a lot of work into maintaining the site , as do the mods, and trying to bring improvements.
I think the main point of this issue is common courtesy. If people wish to set up their own sites, so be it. But to then post links without 1st asking if thats ok is just plain rude. You will find there are links to other sites and car clubs but this is because permission has first been sought and obtained.
It must be a thankless task trying to keep a forum like RF open and free to use, especially with spammers and the like and the admins ond mods do a great job.
Surely if people do not like thier approach then they do not need to stay and argue the fact. I don't always agree with everyones point of view but I am willing to look at the reasons behind them and respect the decision of those who make them or who make the rules.

S

·
0 Posts
Can I also remind people that one of the reasons that we are taking a tougher line on this is because we have come in for some serious personal abuse recently. If you post a link on a forum to a rival project, you should expect the wrath of the admins, mods and users. This is a natural fact of life and RenaultForums is no different. OG has spent thousands building the site up and his decision should therefore be treated with the respect it deserves, whether you agree with it or not...

O

·
0 Posts
ADMIN when you "editied" the above post why could you not answer the question?:confused:

Why are there links else for business's that are selling cars etc for a profit?

Seems like a perfectly reasonable question to me.
As somebody who set up their own forum Mike, I'm sure you'll agree how difficult it is to get it going. You don't build a forum of over 13000 members in 18 months without a lot of blood, sweat, tears, loyal members and cash!

You yourself posted a similar thread to this to promote your own forum not so long ago. You made a post about it there was no mention of money and we let it go, in fact we posted positive replies to you. Since then we have had numerous members who think they can use us to promote their 'rival' forums and quite frankly I'm sick of it. Some have got moody and abusive when we've objected and as a result we are making a specifc rule of nobody promoting their own forum end of story!

If somebody wants to start another Renault Forum that's absolutely fine but don't expect me to promote it unless you want to pay me and then at least we (as in me, Selwonk and our loyal members) get some benefit out of it.

When we set this up there was no other non-specific Renault focused Forum around - we've done the hard work now we'll protect it for the benefit of it's members thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
OG, selwonk,
I originally voted on the poll to get more info before charging subs, but I don`t see why you should be spending your own money and be out of pocket.
Charging for adverts seems like a good idea (even newsagents charge for a card in the window).
£2 a month subs wouldnt be missed (the price of a pint every 4 weeks).
I also like the idea of lo-goed T-shirts and car stickers (you could wave the T-shirt and point at the sticker when your stuck by the side of the road).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts