Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Just picked up a 52 plate renault trafic 1.9 van.
was sold to me as a project, mainly because it wont start due to a suspected fueling problem .
So far today ive just been giving the old girl a spruce up, charging the vans battery with the leisure batteries disconected.
And only thing re the fueling/non starting prob ive got round to is i took the fuel filter out for a look, and also took some of the fuel out of the filter housing to check that its def diesel in there and im not dealing with a mis fueling issue.

One other slightly weird thing i have noticed whilst cleaning, and trying the vans ignition/electrics are alive is......
Near the key /wheel area i noticed a weird sound, also the surround around the wheel housing or just to the right of it was loose.
Anyway when i looked what was behind the loose trim i found were the weird noise came from.
There appears to be a black rectangular box there, with quite a few wired plugs going into it???o_Oo_O
Im guessing its not suppose to make weird noises, dont know what it is yet, wondering if its a body control module or something?
Also Noticed that going to/from the fuel filter there is no fuel primer bulb? is this normal?
Any help would be great.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,912 Posts
No primer bulb would suggest an electric fuel feed pump.
Or some clown has removed the primer blub and it actually needs one.

Ignoring the box in the cab for the moment, can you hear any noise from tank area..... by tank or inner wheel arch areas??
Which could be a leccie fuel pump.
Or see anything that could be one....not usually in tank with a diesel.
Lack of a primer bulb or an electric feed pump could cause starting problems...especially if the fuel feed system is opened.

The buzzing box....got any photos, nothing springing to mind here?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and suggestions.
Just realised I hadnt put what type of engine/model its is unless the 1.9 diesel bit was enough, think it say its a 27 on the side:LOL:
Im going to take some pics tommorow, then at least any experts on here like your self, will have a better idea what were dealing with , so will pop a pic of fuel filter area, and a pic of the Box of weird noises:ROFLMAO:
Did notice the fuel filter has a small bleed valve on top, also slightly worryingly???? the fuel filter housing was full of fuel, so presumably that means fuels getting to it? although i suppose it could have died(the van) / the fault occured and the fuel is just the last that was pumped there b4 the fault, so prob doesnt mean anything.
Anyway more investigations tomoro.
Would i be right in thinking that if its not got a primer, and is fed by an electrical pump, that if i open the fuel filter bleed, and turn the ignition on and off a few times, the pump should run] and id should get something out the bleed valve?
Update with pics tom.
Cheers
Paul B aka Masterbateson

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,912 Posts
Would i be right in thinking that if its not got a primer, and is fed by an electrical pump, that if i open the fuel filter bleed, and turn the ignition on and off a few times, the pump should run] and id should get something out the bleed valve?
Yes.
Electric pumps on diesels often simply stall if they cannot pump fuel...may be a pressure sensor but if you turn on ignition and there is an electric pump, I would expect fuel to come out of the bleed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
couple of pics.!
1 of box of weird noises, behind dash/ steering wheel area to right of ignition key
and of course filter.
I dont want to jump to conclusions or go off on a poss red herring, but wondering if this prob is poss electrical???
Had battery on charge for prob over 4-5 hours yesterday. went out today to open doors with fob and no nice, seems battery is flat/low.
Wondering if ive a drain somewhere and poss there is not enough cranking voltage. perhaps i have a short somewhere?
Im going to check i can hear pump running today and see if i get anything out the fuel filter bleed 1st before i do anything else.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts