Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,752 Posts
All that the Fail is saying is what can happen now.
The charge would not be driving without an MOT but driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.

But does highlight what many (IMO) garages (the more grasping sort) will use with the new categories....

"Ah well mate, it's failed on brakes and that's dangerous so you can't drive it home and put new pads on cos that's worth 3 points on your licence, best leave it with us and we'll sort you out a good deal"

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,226 Posts
what he meant in the post is what happened to me by mistake, I put my wifes car in two months early, this in itself, although a waste of money, is not a bad thing, but I asked the guy that was doing it, saying that the car still had some time left on the MOT, should the car fail its MOT do I still have the time remaining on the present MOT? he said "under the new rules you only have 10 days to get the retest done, you are not still legal until the end of your present MOT date"

the German TUV test has been like this for years, if your car fails the TUV test on anything dangerous, it cannot leave the garage until it is repaired, you walk home and pay wehen its done and has a TUV licence.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,433 Posts
when i took the mrs car for its test the mot guy said first it money then its to try and remove older cars from the road
how can you tell if a diesel when running in cold weather is smoke or steam it will not matter its a fail before it evan gets on the rollers, if they think the dpf has be tampered with in any way its a fail if i heard him correct if you have replaced your bulbs with none standered like led its a fail
Ron

·
6,433 Posts
one thing this will do the price of 2nd hand diesel cars /van will drop like a brick and petrol cars will go up in price
Ron

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,482 Posts
Will know more in the next 2 to 3 weeks, tester from the garage is going on the course to understand the new laws,,

Sorry state when VOSA, have to organise a course, and make the tester pay to understand them ( Afternoon course 70£)
Not forced to go on the course, but it reads to me as though their New Bible is not going to be easy to interpret ..
So he is going on it just to be safe than fail a car that is still classed as safe..

Just about used to the last Stupid changes they bought in..
Got a funny feeling these New laws, are a way around the Old laws that were changed in the 90's..

But putting different terminology in to make it sound better..

Yes tis easier for a car pass an MOT now than it was then,,
Strange but true,,
Play in a balljoint = a fail. now advisory, how
Brakes as in Rusty pitted discs = fail , now an advisory..
Exhaust leaks = Fail, now advisory..
So many moved down to make them advisories, now being brought back in as Fails..
For FS, whats a steering lock got do with an MOT,
Will that have to work on Only the straight ahead position..
I know its been in a few years now.. But why..

Rant over,,

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,708 Posts
Son in law been talking to mot testers in his work ...they are confuzzled with how they interpret new rules ...talking my cars for mot on an towing dolly in future I think ...fail then fine I ain’t driving it home

·
38,482 Posts
Have got a car that I took last week for an MOT, play in nearside ball joint Fail.
Play in offside ball joint pass , but with a manual advisory "Dangerous.."
Not enough play to fail, but needs sorting..
HOW
Have it many times.. Following the Vosa laws, he had a Bollic**ng for failing two lower arms on a corsa,.
He Moted it, Vosa turns up, Puts it back on the test bed and they go and check it.
These bushes if anyone has a Corsa will tell you when they are gone and you have to slam your brakes on, they make the car go from side to side.
The ruling is, no side play, pass even though they are now not held firmly in the wishbone.. As in up and down play, because the wishbone cannot come off FFS, So since then, it's Bible out and double check, and if not 100 % sure advisory.
(Cannot wait for the brake pipe check, they have been scared to fail these for years, how how much fun is that going to bring in..)
Now he has been a tester possibly 8 years..
He argued the toss, and their state of mind is, do as we say, end of..

·
38,482 Posts
Sticky subject as yet, as it gets put straight up in the air..
As they can say the same about tyres that have failed, so not sure how this is going to pan out..
What happens if Testing stations only do testing, and not repairs?

Dont think this has been thought out that well, as far as the owner is concerned..
Got to be a brave tester to refuse to allow the car off the premises,.
I know around here, he would have no garage left within the week.

Things tend to suffer with fires in Stoke, when someone is P155ed off..

·
38,482 Posts
Was hoping it would work differently , and all the rogues would get shut..
But think they will use the wording to cover themselves...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Agreed, but from the initial info it looks like it could become a rogues charter to make money. How many inspectors do vosa have? I can just see the complaints flooding in. So, what will happen if I go to my councils MOT station? They do not carry out any repairs and they do not have any space to store vehicles. These new rules have desk jockey stamped all over them.

·
6,433 Posts
i am lucky 2 most used cars one has a new mot the other will by the end of the week 13mths, the mgf is not due till june but if i remember i can take it in before the may 20th date and still get 13 mths on it so will have a year to watch and listen on the mot side
Ron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts