Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Administrator
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for RenaultForums.co.uk. Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join RenaultForums.co.uk, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "RenaultForums.co.uk Classic".

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your Renault, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/garage.php?do=index

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

8) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your RenaultForums.co.uk Team.

·
Administrator
21,596 Posts
Ive noticed that when you switch back to the old layout, it looks like it used too except going to "forum list" still displays the new homepage and not the old forum list. This means its impossible to navigate to the various sections of the forum

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Administrator
21,596 Posts
Oh on mobile, can you grab a screenshot of what you see?

Here is the main index link.
Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - Powered by vBulletin

Jeff M
Hi jeff. No sorry, i wrote the post using tapatalk on my tablet but noticed the above when browsing the full version using the internet browser (android) , same can be said when using Chrome for andoid.

The link above you posted in your above post takes me to the forum list thst we used to see when we clicked "forum list" from the sidebar on the left. Clicking at the moment takes us to the new style homepage.

I'll check the forum on the pc when at work tomorrow.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,400 Posts
I got around the adds but sorry seen this layout before on another forum and as that one the main part is only 2/3rds of the page the rest is a waste of space will look in again at some point to see if its any better but not looking good form me
Ron

·
Administrator
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got around the adds but sorry seen this layout before on another forum and as that one the main part is only 2/3rds of the page the rest is a waste of space will look in again at some point to see if its any better but not looking good form me
Ron
See first post in this thread.

You can revert to the old look and turn off the sidebar.

Stay logged in for way less ads.

Jeff M

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,590 Posts
We seem to be missing the little bit under posts "what's in my garage"
That is a major, makes it easy to see the vehicle we are offering advise on without scrolling back and forth :frown2:

·
Super Moderator
13,569 Posts
We seem to be missing the little bit under posts "what's in my garage"
That is a major, makes it easy to see the vehicle we are offering advise on without scrolling back and forth :frown2:
I can see yours. :surprise::x

·
Super Moderator
13,569 Posts
Yup, & a PC (proper Computer). :d:d:devil:

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,155 Posts
I can see yours. :surprise::x
I can not see any garage ( never mind the cars!!!!!) on the posts at the bottom , or my own garage even , is it a browser issue, using xp, and can not update browser,.I am running Opera,
Dont want to revert back to classic, if I can correct it

·
Super Moderator
13,569 Posts
NFI, Never used Opera, Firefox & Win 10 here.
You could try classic as a test, it is reversable. :nerd:

·
38,155 Posts
Think I might have to. Thats a shame, I do like change, My sOftware only works on xp:|

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,242 Posts
I appreciate that many websites are being redesigned to suit tablet & mobile users, but I only use a home laptop and am not keen on the new layout.
I have managed to navigate around the various sections ok but I don't find it as 'easy on the eye' or as intuitive as the Classic View.
I think I'll stay with the old layout. :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Hi

not sure if it is me or my comp, but regardless of which 'reply' tab I click it auto quotes the previous message ?

Also the thread disappears so you cannot refer back to the original thread as you are working on the reply.

and ...... the "What's in my garage" that was under the threads appears to -- well it doesn't appear - very easy to loose track of which thread you replying to and what previous advisors have contributed.

hopefully only a few teething troubles not long lasting tooth ache !

Al:redcard:
"

·
38,155 Posts
I appreciate that many websites are being redesigned to suit tablet & mobile users, but I only use a home laptop and am not keen on the new layout.
I have managed to navigate around the various sections ok but I don't find it as 'easy on the eye' or as intuitive as the Classic View.
I think I'll stay with the old layout. :bowdown:
Had to do the same, shame really after all the hardwork to upgrade
No tablet here also, only laptops,

·
38,155 Posts
User dashboard. scroll down, forum skin, click on the white tab, it will allow you to change to renault classic, save changes, bottom or the page

1 - 20 of 256 Posts