Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its been a whole 3 months since the last break down.

Im running out of ideas on this one so Im looking for inspiration.

Engine is the K4M 16v 1.6,

Started the car one afternoon and pulled away only to have no power. Instinctivly though a coil had gone again (though all 4 are new) as the engine was wobbling all over the place.

Spent some time trying to find the faulty coil as I carry 2 spare but just could not stop the wobble. Decided then just to whip the coils out one at a time (not unplug as to kill its brother) to see which ones when removed would make it worse. Turns out the middle 2 (pair) were not firing.
Tried working coils on them but still no. The car was just running on 2 even with working coils on all four.

Next morning tried again and now it will not start at all. The outer 2 still spark but the middle 2 do not.

Had a renault mechanic friend come over and there was no problem with the spark plugs or compression. (hes not a electrician so thats all he could do).

I have put a new TDC sensor on and have traced all the wiring and there is no earth faults or shorts.

Immobiliser goes off so thats fine.

I have an auto electricain coming over on wednesday but I am fearing the worse of a broken ECU.

Any one have any other Ideas?

PS as sooon as this cars fixed it will be on auto trader

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi m8 sorry to hear, are you getting any poping backfireing when cranking it?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No no backfiring,

Auto electrician said it was a faulty ECU. It has a permanent earth fault on connection 1 hence why the midddle pair were not firing.

Have to get the ECU repaired now as there is no way Im paying £460 plus coding for a new one from Renault.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts