Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Why would I

Votes: 9 29.0%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see quite a number of tyre sales outlets now advertise Nitrogen inflation ?

Does any Member use this method of inflation ?

Why would we use this in a road going car ?

P

·
0 Posts
Ferrari F1 believe that Co2 is the way to go. That was part of the McLaren spy info:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ferrari F1 believe that Co2 is the way to go. That was part of the McLaren spy info:)
I have known the Aircraft industry and commercial vehicles have used it for a considerable number of years.

But why on the average road car ?

P

·
0 Posts
I don't want to type it all again, so I'll quote myself:)

Aircraft and Racecars use nitrogen to inflate tyres and have been for years now, there are a number of benefits. It is has a lower expansion rate with temperature, so tyre pressures remain more constant which has obvious benefits to handling and possibly economy. Having said that the temperature differentials seen on a racecar are significantly higher than those seen on a road car. This is probably insignificant for the most of us, if you were that worried about a small change in pressure you would have to start monitoring your tyre/road temperature and adjusting pressure accordingly depending on the type of driving you are doing on the day. Nitrogen contains no moisture, so life of the tyre carcass could be extended, this is could be beneficial to the low mileage users, who keep the same set of tyres for years. Nitrogen has a larger molecule size than the other gasses within Oxygen, therefore it is less likely to leak during normal use, I guess this is beneficial to the cars with those pesky tyre pressure warning lights, and could mean that you needed to adjust your tyre pressures less frequently. Does all this add up to it being worth paying for, well you can draw your own conclusions, personally I would say check your pressures regularly and keep them to the setting recommended by the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
When I changed my tyres last year I went from michelin primacy G1 to primacy HP (newer tread pattern) but tis time inflated with nitrogen. I have just last week changed my tyres again (my milage means that I have to do this anually) and the nitrogen filled tyres lasted 4000miles longer than the previous tyres but this may also of been because of the newer tread pattern.

P

·
0 Posts
When I changed my tyres last year I went from michelin primacy G1 to primacy HP (newer tread pattern) but tis time inflated with nitrogen. I have just last week changed my tyres again (my milage means that I have to do this anually) and the nitrogen filled tyres lasted 4000miles longer than the previous tyres but this may also of been because of the newer tread pattern.
Did you have to top up in that time?

·
Administrator
21,710 Posts
Ive voted Yes, but dont have it my tyres at present. I used to have it in my tyres of my aftermarket alloys on my Lag 1.

As well as help with tyre wear, its supposed to help handing too.... I never saw a benefit. :confused: But then the tyres that that came with the alloys were budget tyres, so they didnt last too long :devil:

I also couldnt be bothered having to go back to the tyre fitters to get the nitrogen topped up every so often, so just put regular air in.

·
Administrator
21,710 Posts
Whats the extra cost for Nitrogen inflation ?
When I last had it done (which was a couple of years ago) I think it was an extra couple of quid per tyre or maybe a bit less. The tyre fitting place recommended it whilst I was getting my tracking checked....so the price may have been a bit cheaper.

P

·
0 Posts
I also couldnt be bothered having to go back to the tyre fitters to get the nitrogen topped up every so often, so just put regular air in.

I shouldn't think that would make too much difference to be honest. I doubt that they put the tyre under vacuum before they filled it with nitrogen. It would already have air at atmospheric pressure in the tyre

·
Administrator
21,710 Posts
I shouldn't think that would make too much difference to be honest. I doubt that they put the tyre under vacuum before they filled it with nitrogen. It would already have air at atmospheric pressure in the tyre
Nah, they just deflated the tyre and then filled it with nitrogen......to me it just seems like another money making scam for the tyre fitters.....

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nah, they just deflated the tyre and then filled it with nitrogen......to me it just seems like another money making scam for the tyre fitters.....
Yeah that's what my thoughts are if it's not done properly and a new tyre.

Really hard to say if it would increase mileage wear on a tyre even 2 cars driven on the same roads would show different tyre wear characteristics/rates etc.

The placebo effect must count for a large part of owners who have had it done to justify their outlay and having it done in the first place, If it was included in the price and not having to pay extra for the Nitrogen I might give it a try.

But £2 a corner is a lot of money to a tight Highlander:d

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The main advantage of using a proper nitrogen system is that the gas is dry whereas compressed air usually contains a lot of moisture which ain't good and will affect the expansion rate when the tyre heats or cools. It would only be effective if the tyre was purged of air first. If used from new it may prolong the life of tyre pressure sensors - who knows.:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts