hi
found this interesting video discussing this matter :nerd:

hope you enjoy ?

Al

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,070 Posts
He's very keen :grin2:

Didn't really need persuading, nobody has ever offered to put nitrogen in my tyres.

·
Super Moderator
13,666 Posts
He's very keen :grin2:

Didn't really need persuading, nobody has ever offered to put nitrogen in my tyres.
I take my Norton back to Brum so the tyre air therein is original....... NOT.
£10 a wheel, Buy TWO Petrol Pump offer compressors for that :crying2:

Reactions: Dancingdad

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,793 Posts
was a thing on tv recently(could've been watchdog) about a certain fast fit doing this on all new tyres and charging for it ...they sent a car in for tyres and then took it to have the contents in the tyre analysed and yes you guessed they were only filled with air

Reactions: chuffer690

·
25,070 Posts
was a thing on tv recently(could've been watchdog) about a certain fast fit doing this on all new tyres and charging for it ........
First time a fast fit asks me to pay to inflate new tyres will be the last time I use them.
I can't believe people fall for it.
40 odd years driving and been quite happy with air, never had a problem with it.

Some new ideas make sense but some ought to have Dr Quack's Patent Snake Oil plastered all over them.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
In the likes of Formula 1 racing enginers need to be able to calculate the effects of temperature changes so using a pure uncontamiated gas makes the calculations easier and more accurate. But that would involve purging the tyres of all air and moisture and then adding an uncantaminated gas. I reckon cleansed or purified air such as that used in breathing apparatus or scuba diving would be stable enough to do the necessary calculations. Also adding nitrogen to a tyre that already contains air seems somewhat pointless. An empty tyre contains air at 1 Bar so for instance by adding another 2 Bar of nitrogen means that it will no longer be pure nitrogen.

In my opinion the snake-oil salesmen are still alive and kicking.:wink2:

·
22,793 Posts
In the likes of Formula 1 racing enginers need to be able to calculate the effects of temperature changes so using a pure uncontamiated gas makes the calculations easier and more accurate. But that would involve purging the tyres of all air and moisture and then adding an uncantaminated gas. I reckon cleansed or purified air such as that used in breathing apparatus or scuba diving would be stable enough to do the necessary calculations. Also adding nitrogen to a tyre that already contains air seems somewhat pointless. An empty tyre contains air at 1 Bar so for instance by adding another 2 Bar of nitrogen means that it will no longer be pure nitrogen.

In my opinion the snake-oil salesmen are still alive and kicking.:wink2:
I do know formula one tyres are usually filled with a special, nitrogen-rich air mixture which help minimise variations in tyre pressure with temperature. The mixture also retains the pressure longer than normal air would

Reactions: funkoval

·
25,070 Posts
...... The mixture also retains the pressure longer than normal air would
???? Why ?
AFAIK, they have under inflated F1 tyres for years to get to correct pressure at operating temps so controlling fill would aid that.

I can understand the controlled gas fill to make calculations more accurate and control ingress of things like moisture but pressure ?

·
22,793 Posts
Dont ask me how all I know is I saw it on something a few years ago when they were talking about the engineering of F1 cars

Reactions: Dancingdad

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,656 Posts
I do know formula one tyres are usually filled with a special, nitrogen-rich air mixture which help minimise variations in tyre pressure with temperature. The mixture also retains the pressure longer than normal air would
A F1 tyre only needs to hold the pressure for around 70 - 100 miles ........ we expect our tyres to hold the same pressure for weeks :|

·
Premium Member
6,170 Posts
Air contains 78% nitrogen anyway so the extra 22% wont make a lot of difference

Pass

WHAT:surprise: Air has got Nitrogen in it :surprise:

I need to get my gas mask on quick & rub myself down with snake oil

:rofl:

Do you think as we evolve on this planet of ours.... we are actually becoming more stupid :laugh:

·
25,070 Posts
.........Do you think as we evolve on this planet of ours.... we are actually becoming more stupid :laugh:
Yup.
Despite the ready access to information and technology, people are getting less able.
I say despite, TBH, because of.
Time was, back in the distant past like 30 years ago, computers were rare, calculators expensive and clunky, tinternet was something on Star Trek, people had to use their brains.
Shop assistants could add up without a till, if you needed to know something you had to make an effort to find out.
Nobody worried about disinfecting the heater matrix.
If you walked down the street asking random questions to your phone it would not respond to Google, what is.
The curly cord wouldn't stretch much past the stairs anyway.

Now, don't know something, ask Google.
Need to do some maths, use your phone.
The till must be right.
Follow the herd on twitfacewhatgram.
Believe all that is on the web, without question.
Original thought, forget it.
Computer says......

·
Premium Member
6,170 Posts
Dead right there DD, i'm glad i grew up when i did have to use my brain (still do some days) but it is frustrating watching your younglings take a simple approach to everyday tasks without so much as a brain cell burnt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts