Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there am new to this forum business so hope I get this correct wondering if any one can give me some advice on a 1993 Renault traffic t1100 1721 engine camper van changed the cam belt on her which seems ok but now have no electrics ie ignition lights running lights hazards lights disconnected the main battery before doing the belt but now all seems dead all leisure battery lights and accessories work the battery is also charged many thanks

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
blown main fuse or left the engine earth off?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for the reply have checked all fuses that I can find and all seem OK if the earth lead was left off what am I looking at to cure this or what problem has this caused as my son reconnected the battery so that is a possibility thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Hi thanks for the reply have checked all fuses that I can find and all seem OK if the earth lead was left off what am I looking at to cure this or what problem has this caused as my son reconnected the battery so that is a possibility thanks in advance
hope he reconnected it the right way around ? :crying2:

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,395 Posts
:iagree: As above. Only other posssibility is one of the battery leads is old and has fractured during removal.

Seems very strange you have lost all electrics ..... the answer must be a simple one caused by a stupid mistake. There's very little to go wrong on a Trafic as they are as basic as Meccano (although like all Renaults they are prone to gremlins).

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,868 Posts
Do you have a multimeter, check the battery for voltage, then take the black probe from your multimeter and touch your engine block with it, while the red probe from the multimeter is still on the battery positive terminal, should read the same..
With the red probe still on the battery positive terminal, put the black lead on the chassis/inner wing, any where on the body, that shows cleanish metal,
Bolt holding the shocker on is a good point of earth, if its got three bolts holding the shocker in position,,, But make sure you have a " Clean piece of metal "...... If good then chassis earth is ok
Move the black probe from your multi meter to different points on your engine, to check you have an earth, dont just take one point, check and recheck..
IF good, then check power supply,
But having no dash, would go for a chassis earth, as this would be a favourite place to look..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Morning all checkied earths and live feeds got power to alternator and starter motor no power at all at fuse box on taking out the air vent with a bank of four switches on next to the drivers door it appears that the main feed wire to the fuse box has been joined so now gonna trace it back to see what else has been done many thanks

·
9,395 Posts
I take it the van was driving normally before the cam belt job? Had the van been standing unused a long time before you commenced work? Are you saying you have Zero power? The sidelights and headlights work without ignition being on, or does nothing at all work when you turn the key (dashboard warning lights come on? ). Does seem a bit odd that a joined cable would suddenly seperate on a stationary vehicle ... its normally road vibration which causes this with intermittent problems.
Do you know that the fuse panel unclips and drops down from below the dashboard so you can access the reverse side of the board.
I would in the meantime disconnect the leisure battery so you're not getting any electrical feedback through the circuits. Have you tried connecting the leisure battery in place of the main battery to see if this will power basic circuits? (some leisure batteries are rated to crank the starter ... cheap ones must not be used for cranking the engine but everything else is ok).
Welcome to another campervan owner BTW.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Van was fine before cam belt change and yes no power at all used a volt meter on the fuses and no reading from any of them and on the assumption that hazards will work with out the key my thought is one fuse must have a reading and yes got the panel down the thicker of all the wires is red main feed I presume but that is pushed up against a thick black wire and been sealed in some sort of connecter that I have never seen before and goes off through the bulk head and red to black don't seem right wondering if someone has cut a piece in for some reason cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi there last message did not seem to go so re sending but van was running fine till the belt change and have no electrics at all no reading at any fuses and would of thought one had to be live to power hazards and as you say lights on removing the air vent panel with the four switches on next to drivers door can see a thick red wire coming out of rear of fuse box Presume this is main feed to fuse box but this is connected to a thick black wire and on further inspection also has a red and green wire connected which is thin and a red thin wire this looks to have been done on purpose as also been sealed over in a clear plastic and it's not a fuse cheers

Yes it did, you need to refresh the page to see it once approved

·
9,395 Posts
.... and on the assumption that hazards will work with out the key ....................................the thicker of all the wires is red main feed I presume but that is pushed up against a thick black wire and been sealed in some sort of connecter that I have never seen before and goes off through the bulk head and red to black don't seem right wondering if someone has cut a piece in for some reason cheers
Here's a pic of mine.

The hazards switch is rather unreliable ..... DoraExplora and me have both had erratic operation and bodge repairs to this switch.
Your sidelights would be a much better indication of power.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes mines very similar I don't have the wires running down the middle of the board but rest seems the same that thick red wire coming from the fuse box mine is connected to four actually five other wires which just does not look correct may try and load a pic of mine if I can thanks

·
9,395 Posts
may try and load a pic of mine if I can thanks
A pic speaks a thousand words plus they're a great help to non-Trafic owners but still extremely knowledgeable members.

We all love pics anyway ..... your van....your days out ..... your pets ...... nice scenery.....anything :nerd::smile2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
,will try and sort how to send pics being new to all this forum stuff may have to wait till my techno son gets home lol

·
9,395 Posts
You can drag files and pictures to it to attach to your post underneath the reply box.

:smile2:
alternatively when you click reply you'll see a button a few lines under the dialogue box that says 'Manage Attachments' .... click on that then you can select a pic from your hard drive or SD card. It's easy once you've done a couple.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,868 Posts
Thought it was only first 5 posts, Admin will confirm,,,
Does it give you the option to manage attachments, you might have to use Go Advanced tab for this..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts