Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the forums. however the car is not new to me, i've had it for 15 years now since new, It's a 2004 Renault Megane 1.6 (Saloon). I've had all the common Megane issues, all sorted no issues, but yesterday.

I was driving along the highway at 70 km/hr when all of a sudden the car has lost all of its electrics, No Dash Lights, No turn indicaators, No Air Conditioning, The PAS became heavy, headlights were dim and the dash needles were stuck at where it was. I could turn off the car by pressing the Start Stop button twice (usually that's when there's no keycard inserted). Once turned off I could not start it again.

This morning i checked the battery voltage it was about 12.5 V, everything returned to normal, I could start the car, but as soon as I left home the entire thing happened again. It just kept coming and going.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,915 Posts
Would be checking the alternator/tensioner here .
Sounds like your alternator is not charging enough, and taking the battery down, but the battery is coming back up overnight..

The other thing, The Brown multiplug on the Under bonnet fuse box, this over time gets hot, and the connectors dont make a good contact,
Its pull that plug off, check for signs of heat, close the connectors back up, and refit..
Cannot think of anything else ..

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,758 Posts
Battery connections, loosen, twist them down and retighten.
Guess but would be my first

·
41,915 Posts
never thought of that Pete

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would be checking the alternator/tensioner here .
Sounds like your alternator is not charging enough, and taking the battery down, but the battery is coming back up overnight..

The other thing, The Brown multiplug on the Under bonnet fuse box, this over time gets hot, and the connectors dont make a good contact,
Its pull that plug off, check for signs of heat, close the connectors back up, and refit..
Cannot think of anything else ..
Hello, I'm more of a Weekend Mechanic because my entire week is busy. All belts and tensioners are in good condition, and so is the alternator. However, I managed to get the fuse box out (Definitely not an easy job to do.) The brown connector as you mentioned is fine, the contacts are nice and shiny. BUT, here comes the wrong, one of the connectors(Black) is burnt, and its stuck. I believe there's two black connectors, one for lights, and the other I don't know (but its what got burnt). If i fiddle around with those wires the interior lights, instrument cluster, radio, air conditioning etc. goes on and off. So could that be my issue?

·
41,915 Posts
Any chance of a picture, not come across issues with any of the black plugs on the old type fuse box ..
And also, if you look carefully, you should see some letters/numbers by the area the plug fits in,
Post these

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any chance of a picture, not come across issues with any of the black plugs on the old type fuse box ..
And also, if you look carefully, you should see some letters/numbers by the area the plug fits in,
Post these
Sorry m8, can't get a picture(car is elsewhere) but I remember it was the PPM1 Connector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Post these
Here, I could take a picture for you, earlier today

1 - 8 of 8 Posts