Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning my N reg Laguna for 7 years.. i part exchanged it for a W plate Volvo S40 T4 in Nov 06.

To be honest iv not looked back..the volvo is such a joy to drive, especially with 200bhp on tap.

i was a bit disapointed though with a few bits that were in my laguna (1.8 RT) that are missing from the volvo:

- Radio controls on stalk
- Buzzer to warn you that headlights are on
- Oil Level meter in dash..

they are just tiny niggles.. but id got soo used to them over the years..

i think renault do make cars equipped with some of the latest technology..(i remeber seeing a digital dash for the first time on my dads Renault 21 TXE 'E Reg') and i see that this is now the 'norm' on new citroens..however i feel that the models are nothing special and lack quality/prestige..

im deffo sticking with volvo in the meantime..

just my 2p worth.. :)

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I can't believe that Volvo are too tight to fit a headlights on warning buzzer!
Even the most basic of cars have had this feature for years.

That said, the Volvo is a bit like a BMW, you get a basic shell and everything else is an option as part of a pack, like winter pack,luxury pack,handling pack etc.

Glad you like the S40 - we would have quite liked a V40 when we got the Lag but there weren't many decent low mileage high spec models around.

D

·
0 Posts
ahh, another Volvo convert;)
I'm the same and would never go back to a Renault after seven trouble free months driving my big purple thang.
luckily its fully toyed-up, everything from heated seats, great after playing footie on a cold monday night, to top quality sound system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I've just read about how good the Volvo is, and now I can see why this site is called the knocking shop. If you own a Renault then you come to this site to rubbish it or Renault UK, or again go on about how good other makes are compared to Renaults. Perhaps you have to be a drip to use this site, but it would be nice for a change to see some positive thoughts.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
I don't think that this site is just for "drips" at all, most of the people who come to this site do so to find information on the way to fix their cars without having to pay enormous amounts of money to a dealer......this happens on other manufacturers owners forums also. I for one am quite happy with my Scenic albeit only just over a year old, and touch wood nothing major has gone wrong with it yet!

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
I also believe most people come here hot to"knock" their car or Renault but to talk to like minded people and to help out others who may have a problem. Given the amount of Renault owners out there and the relativly few problems there are they must be doing something right. On any marque dedicated forum you will get a higher percentage of requests for help thats normal and to a large degree what these forums are for. RTi even though now a Volvo driver you are welcome to remain part of the community.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i didnt mean to come across at knocking Renault .. i had my laguna for 7 years.. and was actually very sad and upset to see it go!

D

·
0 Posts
Well I've just read about how good the Volvo is, and now I can see why this site is called the knocking shop. If you own a Renault then you come to this site to rubbish it or Renault UK, or again go on about how good other makes are compared to Renault's. Perhaps you have to be a drip to use this site, but it would be nice for a change to see some positive thoughts.
well I've never heard it called a knocking shop, its a bit aggressive for someone so new to the forum to start shouting the odds.
I may have been unlucky with my Lag II, I bought a lemon, but this can happen with any car regardless of maker.
and as for being used by "drips" well the number of users that get fantastic free advice from the growing number of members would probably have to disagree with you.
I'm glad you want a positive site, but as with all things, you can`t have positive without negative.
as you can see I now drive a Volvo, but I continue to use the site as I enjoy the positive side of things here.

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
well i didnt mean to come across at knocking Renault .. i had my laguna for 7 years.. and was actually very sad and upset to see it go!

Sorry Rti that comment was not aimed in your direction, I could see you liked the lag and meant please stay around. I was replying to the knock comment by newren1. As DL says it's good to have a variety of views on a forum, but it's also good to keep a perspective about comments made while owners are having problems. Hope you stick around mate as after 7yrs of lag ownership you will still have lots of important input.

O

·
0 Posts
and now I can see why this site is called the knocking shop.
Go on then - who calls it the knocking shop?

I think you'll find it pretty balanced here.

RTi the T4 is good fun - I had a V40 T4 it would spin it's wheels in 3rd:d Enjoy your new motor.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Hi All,

Yes this is a renault forum ... there are forums for ford , vauxhall , ... most makes of cars , you just have to surf the web to find them .. and yes they have questions and answers just like we do , and thats what these forums are about , so i would not knock this forum its no different from the others :d :d

Chakota ;)

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
If it's any consolation, I've helped to pursuade a colleague at work to defect from Volvo to Renault. He couldn't get an S40 of the spec he wanted, but the Laguna Initiale had the works. He was dubious about the diesel option at first, but having driven mine, apparently the 1.9dCi wipes the floor with the 1.8 petrol Volvo engine that he's used to.

Here's hoping that the car doesn't let the side down. The only trouble I ever recall him having with the Volvos was with the gearbox on one... and it was a Renault gearbox :p

The Laguna's reliability has supposedly come forward in leaps and bounds, and the worst thing I've had go wrong in 45K miles is a faulty button. If his is as good as this one has been so far, then I reckon he should be happy with it.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
:d

It might have Volvo badges on it,but many of them have Renault gearboxes and engines.:eek:.I'm not sure about the really new stuff,but certaintly most S40's I've worked on have had Renault boxes,and the diesel ones use variants of the 1.9 dTi and dCi engines.:eek:

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
If it's any consolation, I've helped to pursuade a colleague at work to defect from Volvo to Renault. He couldn't get an S40 of the spec he wanted, but the Laguna Initiale had the works. He was dubious about the diesel option at first, but having driven mine, apparently the 1.9dCi wipes the floor with the 1.8 petrol Volvo engine that he's used to.

Here's hoping that the car doesn't let the side down. The only trouble I ever recall him having with the Volvos was with the gearbox on one... and it was a Renault gearbox :p

The Laguna's reliability has supposedly come forward in leaps and bounds, and the worst thing I've had go wrong in 45K miles is a faulty button. If his is as good as this one has been so far, then I reckon he should be happy with it.
Horatio ,

I have the V6 someone once told me it was a volvo engine , would that be correct ?

Also heard the tiptronic box is japanese

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
I have had nothing but trouble with my Laguna since I got it, but I like it and would buy a brand new one if I could afford it, like everything in life there is good and bad

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Viva La Renault

Guess what engine and gearbox is fitted to the Delorean - yeh they used the Renault kit after Volvo thought it was OK. I bought a 1994 Clio diesel 4 years ago for £750 and apart from new tyres and my own servicing I've had no probs at all and in all honesty it's the cheapest car I've ever owned. One other apsect which maybe isn't being considered here is the MPG and Oh I wonder what the srvice costs are. There are many forums for all makes of cars and are used mainly by genuine enthusiasts (petrol heads) who love their cars but you see many people who just join when they have a moan or problem and when they get help some don't even bother to keep the forum updated. Viv La Renault Forum UK:d

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
It's good to hear from owners of other Marques, but most on this Forum drive Renault's most have had a problem or two but still enjoy their Renault's, Even after they have had help from this Forum they still stick around to either help other Members who have similar Problems as they had or just for the camaraderie that this site has to offer it is in my opinion more than just a site for Renault owners but a community of people from a wide spectrum of society which is shown by the many Members who have stayed even after moving to other Marques, This is a fun easy going Forum with an abundance of very helpfull and friendly Members.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Guess what engine and gearbox is fitted to the Delorean
The 2.7 V6 was a joint development by Peugeot, Renault and Volvo. It was assembled at Douvrin in France.

FWIW the latest Volvos have controls for the radio on the steering wheel....and you don't get a lights-on warning buzzer because the headlights are wired through the ignition so that they are on dipped whenever the engine is running, and they turn off automatically when you stop the engine. Maybe if a previous owner has had the computer re-programmed so that they are not on automatic, then that's why you need the buzzer

1 - 20 of 22 Posts