Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I'm new to the forum and probably like many found you when searching for a solution to a problem... I've owned my Megane Cabriolet 2003 mk1? 1.6 petrol manual for about 6 weeks. It has low-ish mileage at 58k and a stamped history to 48k, all the books and 2 x remote keys (with the red indicator lamps). It also has an alarm installation certificate from 2003 - I believe from the internet that at new manufactured these cars had an immobiliser and when imported were dealer fitted with an alarm?
When I bought the car the battery was flat and was swopped by the vendor for another, and the car started and drove fine, but the battery was going flat after a few days (its a second car) so last weekend I went to put a new one on it. Usually when I press the remote button the hazards would flash fast and the doors unlock, yet this time nothing "ah the car battery has finally died". I'm pretty sure that the immobiliser light wasn't flashing. So I unlocked with the key opened the bonnet and went to swop the battery, but I'd got the wrong one and had to take back and get the correct one - so the car was disconnected for half an hour I'd say. Put the new one on, very small spark from positive terminal. Jumped in car spins over fine but doesn't fire up. The remote fobs wont open or lock the car, and the immobiliser light is not on nor flashing. I had a silver Megane 02 plate and the flashing red light, when locked, was in the centre of the instrument cluster. On this "new" 03 plate one there is a light there but it never illuminates, and there is a red led on the steering wheel / rack / shroud above and on top of where the key goes in, so visible from inside and outside the car if that makes sense. The central locking works fine using the button near the hazard light switch. So in summary, remote central locking not working, tried both keys which appear to be working (red led on fob lights), "immobiliser2 light is OFF even when doors are locked with central locking button in car or by key from outside (which only opens / locks drivers door). All lights and functions work fine, car spins over but doesn't fire. Any ideas please?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,001 Posts
Lets see if we have this right
The Led light that is fitted, is that a factory LED or an aftermarket ????

Do you have any other keys with the car, that you dont know what they are for?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lets see if we have this right
The Led light that is fitted, is that a factory LED or an aftermarket ????

Do you have any other keys with the car, that you dont know what they are for?

Hi, I only have 2 x single button red led remote keys. I'm not sure whether the red light on the steering wheel cowl is factory or aftermarket, my other Megane Cab had a red light in the instrument cluster, this one has one there but it never lights up. I thought it might have been to do with the post manufacture in the UK fitment of an alarm at first registration (only something I saw on the net)

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Hi

don't know how you got a spark from the positive terminal ? unless you connected the earth first in error ?
did you put the lights on before connecting battery, this absorbs any spikes that may occur when re connecting ?

Al

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

don't know how you got a spark from the positive terminal ? unless you connected the earth first in error ?
did you put the lights on before connecting battery, this absorbs any spikes that may occur when re connecting ?

Al
Hello, yes connected earth first, didn't put any lights on when re-connecting

·
41,001 Posts
Never come across one thats on the steering wheel cowling unless after market..
Not found Any switches in the car That Dont Seem To Do anything have you..?

·
41,001 Posts
Can only suggest following the wiring back from the LED , see where it goes..

If it goes to an aftermarket alarm..
Do a tinternet search using the name of the after market alarm system..
You might be lucky..
If a top of the range one..
ALL BLACK wires, you will have to be really careful on how you remove it to join all the original wires back to their correct colours/wiring..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can only suggest following the wiring back from the LED , see where it goes..

If it goes to an aftermarket alarm..
Do a tinternet search using the name of the after market alarm system..
You might be lucky..
If a top of the range one..
ALL BLACK wires, you will have to be really careful on how you remove it to join all the original wires back to their correct colours/wiring..
The alarm was fitted new post build in the uk at registration by the dealer I presume, I have the installation certificate but it doesn't name it or provide any useful info. I'm not worried about stripping an alarm out did a datatool evo on my bike, but what I don't want to do is start ripping the car to bits and causing more issues. If the alarm was pro installed a section of the loom should have been cut out for each wire. I'm going to check all earths etc tomorrow, as I believe the remote central locking not working coinciding with not starting are linked, fix the locking and hopefully fix the starting.

·
41,001 Posts
interior fuse box, bottom row second fuse in from the left, check this first

this is alarm system, remote , and immo, next to it 3rd fuse along central locking fuse

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mk1 cabriolet rcl and alarm

Hi

2003 Mk1 1.6 16v Cabriolet. Having some remote central locking and immobiliser issues, can anyone confirm:

1. Is the immobiliser and remote fob linked, ie combined (read somewhere on net it is) 2. Its RF as its single button red light system? 3. So if the remote central locking isn't working the car wont start 4. Does it have one of those immobiliser ring things around the ignition barrel 4. Is it feasible after swapping the car battery the keys, both, have lost their code to the immobiliser. I'm not being lazy have trawled and read loads of threads on here and across the net on coding the keys etc. ps. when I hold lock on the interior central locking button, which locks unlocks everything, with the ignition on to "arm" auto locking the system does not beep after 5 seconds? Any thoughts except bin it appreciated

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
interior fuse box, bottom row second fuse in from the left, check this first

this is alarm system, remote , and immo, next to it 3rd fuse along central locking fuse
Hi, I've pulled all fuses both internal and under the bonnet, and all relays just to check them and ensure blades were clean, nader unfortunately. I used the books and followed their diagrams to double check alarm, immobiliser, etc. Do the keys really just "lose" their codes sometimes? my battery's are good I believe and the more I think about it this happened before I changed the car battery and whilst the car was sat e for a couple of weeks - the car battery may have died I this period, it was flat when I first encountered the central locking and immobiliser light failures

·
41,001 Posts
Yes the ECU;s do lose the immo code, not sure if that would stop immo light flashing..
Double checked you have not damaged, or left a wire off the battery by changing it..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nah not damaged or left anything off, bear in mind the immobiliser light seems too have been replaced with one on the steering wheel cowl - I reckon as part of an alarm installation. so is t the immobiliser that loses the code or the key that needs re-coding please?

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Re: mk1 cabriolet rcl and alarm

Hi

you seem to already have one thread running on this matter, re posting will only cause confusion.

Mods - can you merge threads ?

ta

Al

·
41,001 Posts

Have you looked on here on how to resync the key to the car ..
Lots of threads explaining how to do this..

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts

Hi

you seem to already have one thread running on this matter, re posting will only cause confusion.

Mods - can you merge threads ?

ta

Al
This Mod is still Active.
I agree with Al.
These Faults are IMHO Linked.
And should be discussed together, so we have a full picture.

Reactions: A55ii

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi, apologies for any confusion caused by posting 2 questions, I thought that different terminology and content might get a better response to ours2012 I cant resync the keys as this involves use of the red immobiliser light, of which 1. mine is not now illuminating 2. it looks like an aftermarket one as its on the steering cowl and the one in the instrument cluster hasn't worked in my brief ownership. without a flashing red light you cant count the flashes and enter the code? abd the central locking button in the dash doesn't beep after holding for 5 secons either. I was next going to remove the BCU and check for obvious faults. After that its a mobile auto electrician

·
41,001 Posts
Just step back a second here.
What have you done.
YOU took a duff battery off, and replaced it .. with a new battery.
You must have had to move wires to do this job..
Is it possible here, that one of the wires that go on top of the battery terminal is at fault..

Its hard to picture the layout under the bonnet..
Have you checked FOR power at the fuses I mentioned, fuses could be good, but if no power going to them !!!
Your after market alarm, where is it fitted, on the Bulk head or?

Reactions: A55ii
1 - 20 of 25 Posts