Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

P reg - Espace II... I cant seeme to locate why there is no water from the windsreen washer jets on the wipers... the rear is working fine, as are the headlight washers when I have the lights on... but from the main washers nothing... motor whirrs and I have quaruple checked the levels. Also pinned the ends to check for blockage, but the smaller side holes should be producing water..

Any ideas please?

Paul

·
Administrator
21,706 Posts
Hi,

As the motor pumps the water for both the front and back washers that must be a valve that controls whether the water goes to the front or the back washers. This is probably faulty (stuck in one position maybe ?) and will more than likely need replacing.

Cant see it being your motor at fault.

Co-incidentaly I have the exact reverse problem on mine, I get a dribble out of the back windscreen washer, but the fronts are fine! :mad:

Let us know how you get on.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
last time I had this I started at wiper end and kept disconnecting pipe until I found where blockage was.
tinker2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback - I might have to follow up on the valve option....

I just went out and disconnected the nearest connection on both washers - it produced a tiny amount of water from those (nothing gushing) and I blew down the remaining part of the washers with no blockage...

Seems to be a lack of power so probably the valve... thanks for the ideas saves me scratching my head over if its a separate motor...

cheers
Paul

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
There probably isn't a directional valve - either there will be two or more pumps or one pump which delivers water in either direction. In many cases there is only one pump which has two outlets (one going to the front and one going to the rear) and depending on what direction the pump rotates decides which outlet is supplied. In other words the polarity of the motor is reversed via the switches when changing form front to rear delivery.:)

·
Administrator
21,706 Posts
Thinking about it Noels probably correct. The only reason I mentioned it was because as my wifes car (fiat punto, ewww) had a problem with the washers not working, and it was down to a valve.

Probably worth checking the outlets on the motor arent blocked then in that case , as I once managed to gum up my water bottle / motor by putting too much windscreen washer fluid in it ! (too much fluid and not enough water, and it jellified in the bottom of the washer bottle)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Dave - you didn't gum up the water bottle by using proper screen cleaning liquid - it was probably somone previously using dish washing liquid which causes this common problem and can also lead to burnt out motors. Unfortunately I seen dozens of motors with this problem in my time - if you catch it early enough sometimes adding hot water will help dissolve the gunk and jelly like stuff. When you look through any drivers handbook they only recommend using proper additive:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have the same problem with my 2.2dci stops working after about 3 weeks i just pull the rubber hoses of the wiper blades and blow down em you can allso hear the water bubble in the tank then i am set for 3 to 4 weeks back to normal ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips - only had the car for a couple of months and only used prepared screen wash or water (the cars parks under trees so gets a load of gunk and pigeon presents which means I use the washers a lot!)... maybe previous owner was generous with the fairy liquid... so Im going for a blow down the pipes first, then Ill go out with the kettle if that doesnt work!

Thanks.
Paul

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Hi Dave - you didn't gum up the water bottle by using proper screen cleaning liquid - it was probably somone previously using dish washing liquid which causes this common problem and can also lead to burnt out motors. Unfortunately I seen dozens of motors with this problem in my time - if you catch it early enough sometimes adding hot water will help dissolve the gunk and jelly like stuff. When you look through any drivers handbook they only recommend using proper additive:)
Adding Hot Water. Great tip Noel Rep points to you

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I have the opposite on my Espace... no water out the rear. Can hear the motor go but no water. Front headlamp washer and front screen washers work fine.

So, I gather it's definitely not the motor, but what else could it be? I disconnected the pipe at the wiper thinking the jets might be blocked but still nothing. Until recently it at least use to trickle but now its bone dry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
humph

my blowing down pipes trick only lasted so long now it has stopped all together rear is ok and you can hear motor running had a look from the top of the engine bay [not good to get at it ] i think i will take wheel off and wheel arch inner saround to get at it this week sometime, keep you posted cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts